+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Survey

Temporary Survey

As you may have noticed, we have a new temporary pop-up on the main forum listing and on the front page.

Please be assured that the survey will only be up there for a day or two - when we reach the first 150 responses needed, we will remove the pop-up completely.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    ahhhh, that explains why my popup blocker goes crazy everytime i go to the main page ... i was confused so i came here to see if anyone else had reported it.

Yay, I got to take the survey

One problem now, though. Now every time I come to FoRT and go to the main page, the survey thinks I want to take it again and gives me this error popup window:

As you can see, it wants me to click on a "button below", but there are no buttons to click on to make the error popup go away. And the error popup refreshes itself every time I click on something on the main page, like Mark All Forums Read, or click on a topic.

Think this problem will go away once the temporary survey is done, John?

I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2211671;
    Yay, I got to take the survey

One problem now, though. Now every time I come to FoRT and go to the main page, the survey thinks I want to take it again and gives me this error popup window:

As you can see, it wants me to click on a "button below", but there are no buttons to click on to make the error popup go away. And the error popup refreshes itself every time I click on something on the main page, like Mark All Forums Read, or click on a topic.

Think this problem will go away once the temporary survey is done, John?

An icon shows up on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. By clicking on it, you can prevent the pop-up from showing up by blocking it.

Right. I didn't mind the survey the first time. Heck I could use $10 at Amazon. Its just the fact that I have to put a block on all popups to stop the annoyance for good. In fact, Firefox blocks the popup be default, but you still have to put up with that little bar that appears at the top to TELL you it just blocked a popup. While that's not as annoying as an actual popup, its still a bit irritating. I believe you can block the message as well as the actual popup, but I am not sure if doing so is for JUST the one site or for the whole browser.

EDIT - I just found out its a global setting. If you remove that message line its for ALL sites, not just the one. You can test this at http://www.popuptest.com/ if you need to.

Still I get that the site needs to make money. I just wish the people who made the survey wrote code which read the cookie telling whether or not the survey was taken BEFORE it attempted the popup and not afterwards. Why even attempt the popup if its been taken already?
    Last edited by Krom; 01-22-2007 at 12:37 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2211677;
    An icon shows up on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. By clicking on it, you can prevent the pop-up from showing up by blocking it.
    Actually, that's the problem, Cornedbeef, there is no icon that shows up on my screen. Everything I see is on that image I posted, so you can see I have no icon to click on. That blue icon on the bottom right that you may be noticing belongs to an add-on on my browser, has nothing to do with that popup. There are no icons or buttons that go with the popup error window to click on. Well, except the icon to questionpro's home site, but that doesn't do anything to stop the popup.

Krom, yeah that's the same thing I ran into. And I don't have so much problems with other popup surveys I run into. I guess questionpro just doesn't have a good code for checking this. Not very good for advertising their software, though, since I know not to use them now on any of my sites, lol.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I'll be removing the code completely, as soon as we have reached the required number of responses. I realize it's annoying, and I apologize.

You can always close the box by clicking the little X in the upper right corner.

Weird, I don't see it anywhere. Firefox and all my security must be blocking it completely.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2211893;
    Weird, I don't see it anywhere. Firefox and all my security must be blocking it completely.
    Firefox would block mine but you would see the little drop down menu at the top where it would say Firefox had blocked a popup. I disengaged mine so I could take the survey and then I put the blocker back on once I had taken the survey!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by John;2211875;
    I'll be removing the code completely, as soon as we have reached the required number of responses. I realize it's annoying, and I apologize.

You can always close the box by clicking the little X in the upper right corner.
    No need for apologies, John, it was a fun survey and the $10 Amazon certificate was worth a day or so of a minor annoyance. Don't let it stop you from doing any future surveys that benefit FoRT

Aye, I click the X in the corner to close it now, it just likes to pop back up as soon as I click on anything else on the main page, though. It's persistent, lol. And I kinda figured you'd be removing the survey code after the limit was reached, so was just verifying that with you here. Thanks for the verification, and thanks for the opportunity to take the survey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast