Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Official FORT Lingo List

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2212509;
    Oh I know, that really killed it. My post was kind of a joke because I was accused of being rude for pointing out someone's misspelling of the word. I was polite about it
    We should have a grammar police thread. I'd visit it daily to bitch about misspelled words and malaprops.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

MsFroggy, that would go against our rules regarding other members, and treating them with respect as you'd like to be treated.

I understand your annoyance at misspelled words and poor grammar, but it happens, and we just have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2223937;
    MsFroggy, that would go against our rules regarding other members, and treating them with respect as you'd like to be treated.

I understand your annoyance at misspelled words and poor grammar, but it happens, and we just have to live with it.
    My thoughts ran in the direction of a general thread dealing with grammar mistakes and such, which I see every day even in articles posted on sites like Yahoo! and other places on the net. I never for a second meant that I'd want a thread so I can go around complaining about other members' grammar.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Ah, I misunderstood. Well, there's nothing stopping you from starting such a thread in General Discussion.

I thought we already had a grammar thread buried somewhere, either in General Discussion or the books forum.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

We have two, I believe. One in general discussion and one under books.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love Lingo! It's like the best thing on the Game Show Network!

Oh wait...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    wow .... i guess i don't visit the announcements forum enough. i had no idea about this, until i lost a post because of a shortened version of a word that i've been using for 30 years. i can understand, and appreciate, the 'rule' because 'netspeak' drives me crazy ... i just wish i had the post back because i don't think i could retype it from memory.

could this be something added? maybe if a post gets pulled or moderated, you send it to the user and tell them to 'clean it up' or something? so then it's not lost forever?

just a though...

BFD, definitely that is how it's handled most of the time. The only time it would be outright deleted would be if the entire post were a big lingo-fest (and there are forums where this is a common occurrence). Normally, the FA or mod would make a quick edit and issue an infraction. You didn't get an infraction, which makes me think it disappeared into the ether somehow. I can't find any record of your post, and it would show up in the moderation queue at least if it were caught by the word filter.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    when i went to post it, it showed up in dark color, saying it was moderated because of the word i used to replace 'because', and it highlighted the word in red. i thought it was odd, and figured once a mod caught it, then it would post as normal. it never did. really weird. it must have disappeared into the ozone ... hahahaha

oh well. no sweat.

Closed Thread