Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Official FORT Lingo List

No more MIL for mother-in-law? I'll be wearing out my fingers on that one, hee. !
    So, if your typing looks like it belongs on a license plate, fix it :nono !
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MsFroggy, your example is just fine. If people occasionally use things of that nature simply for effect, which would by definition mean that the usage is sporadic, we obviously aren't going to jump all over them for that. We have a writing staff here - a very good one, at that - and I'm sure everyone who's ever written a recap has, at one point or another, done exactly what you're describing. We see the difference in effect between "Lorenzo is in luuuurve. Yeah, right." and "Lorenzo is in love. Yeah, right." too.

Cricketeen, MIL as an abbreviation for Mother-in-Law is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2188067;
    MsFroggy, your example is just fine. If people occasionally use things of that nature simply for effect, which would by definition mean that the usage is sporadic, we obviously aren't going to jump all over them for that.
    Thanks for the clarification as well as the collective efforts of the staff on the lingo issue.

Your approach is the sensable one I anticipated. Using adulterated words as seasoning is a good thing, but taken to the extreme of using them as a norm rather than the exception would be as appealing as the creative pasta sauce my artiste chef boy brother whipped up using a pound or so of cinamon.

Unpalatable, but a good roach repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2188067;
    MsFroggy, your example is just fine. If people occasionally use things of that nature simply for effect, which would by definition mean that the usage is sporadic, we obviously aren't going to jump all over them for that. We have a writing staff here - a very good one, at that - and I'm sure everyone who's ever written a recap has, at one point or another, done exactly what you're describing. We see the difference in effect between "Lorenzo is in luuuurve. Yeah, right." and "Lorenzo is in love. Yeah, right." too.

Cricketeen, MIL as an abbreviation for Mother-in-Law is fine too.
    I'm starting to get it and I'm happy that it seems all my attention whore creative spelling is going to pass muster... as long as I don't stand on that street corner too often.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2187942;
    Thanks for the clarification.

This seems like such murky territory. Many times using a colloquialism, regionalism or the like is the only way to demonstrate a certain meaning. So, I don't know. If I was afraid of committing some odious lingo sin, I may think twice about typing things that would otherwise seem innocuous for fear of automatic reprimand. I have many times misspelled things on purpose, again for effect, as in: "Lorenzo is in luuurve. Yeah, right." I'm not sure anymore whether that's okay. I guess I'll find out after I post this... .
    That's fine MsFroggy.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Uh oh you guys, Just a heads up.

I knew that You - Tube links were a no no. :nono But just be careful when refering to the site at all. Apparently even the word gets caught in the filter. I wouldn't want anyone to have a long well thought out post get lost in the shuffle because you accidentally squooshed those 2 words together
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

So can you please post an announcement when Big Brother rolls around that there is no "p" in hamster?

I Is Stephanie
    LOL! That drives me crazy, and when people pronounce it HAMP-ster, too! It's HAM-ster. HAM-ster. HAM-ster. Got it? Good.

But I don't think that's really 'lingo,' so much as slight ignorance. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Everytime I read "hampster" I think "clothes hamper." It doesn't help that it's "The Hampster Dance."
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2212503;
    Everytime I read "hampster" I think "clothes hamper." It doesn't help that it's "The Hampster Dance."
    Oh I know, that really killed it. My post was kind of a joke because I was accused of being rude for pointing out someone's misspelling of the word. I was polite about it

Closed Thread