Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Official FORT Lingo List

Is "cause" okay in replacement of because?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    OK, where is spellcheck? I'm sure it's a rattlesnake waiting to bite me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Go to the end of the spellcheck thread.

Spel check issues

It depends on the browser you use.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Callie;2186981;
    Yeah, I'd like to know if "'cause" is okay since I use it for effect sometimes to convey a nuance of speech. I'm pretty sure there are other abbreviations I've used before specifically for this purpose and not because I'm a 12 year old uneducated peasant with no spelling skills. While the rule against the more esoteric text message lingo is crystal clear, there should maybe be a more exhaustive list of the forbidden words posted for reference.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2187257;
    Go to the end of the spellcheck thread.

Spel check issues

It depends on the browser you use.
    Thanks, veejer. Updated my Mozilla Firefox to 2.0 and have been cured. I like that red dotted line.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie;2186981;
    No because cause is not a word unless you are using it in reference to a cause and effect type thing. I don't know?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Callie

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2187287;
    Yeah, I'd like to know if "'cause" is okay since I use it for effect sometimes to convey a nuance of speech. I'm pretty sure there are other abbreviations I've used before specifically for this purpose and not because I'm a 12 year old uneducated peasant with no spelling skills. While the rule against the more esoteric text message lingo is crystal clear, there should maybe be a more exhaustive list of the forbidden words posted for reference.
    Maybe it would be an acceptable substitute if an apostrophe preceeded it as in your post, and in context and/or for effect ? I'm curious too.
    Last edited by echo226; 12-27-2006 at 03:40 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2187287;
    I'm appreciative of the rationale behind the rule as well as the need.

Without wishing to question it in general, or seek any exhaustive list of exemptions, I do have one question relating to it, and it may involve the same thing MsFroggy speaks of in that first sentence. I'm uncertain because thats one of my areas of ignorance.

As illustration, not to intentionally irk, the initial thought that popped into my head was on the order of 'My, you sure write purty'.

I don't know whether its nuance of speech, but now and again a 'purty' instead of a 'pretty' seems like the only appropriate way to say it if you wish to successfully convey what you're desiring to. I'd have prefered another word had come to mind at this moment to use as example; I just used what did.

Without being able at this moment to recall any of the elusive bastardized words, there've probably been something in the neighborhood of a dozen times since this thread originated that I've questioned and discarded the thought of using a spelling approximating the actual sound of something said in common usage, at least on a regional basis. And prefered specifically for that reason.

I'm a big, huge, humongous fan of Standard English, but it is difficult, for example to imagine the Shadow segments on the Survivor thread or the Postcards segment on The Amazing Race thread being so entertainingly individually tailored if relying soley on Standard English.

'Cause is okay.

Purty is okay, in the situation described. I don't think we'd want to see it used constantly, but of course we understand the need to add inflections in writing.

We'll never have a fully exhaustive list, I'd guess. The entire staff brainstormed as best we could, but other words are still coming to our attention. It's a work in progress, and we'll deal with them as they come up.

Thanks for the clarification.

This seems like such murky territory. Many times using a colloquialism, regionalism or the like is the only way to demonstrate a certain meaning. So, I don't know. If I was afraid of committing some odious lingo sin, I may think twice about typing things that would otherwise seem innocuous for fear of automatic reprimand. I have many times misspelled things on purpose, again for effect, as in: "Lorenzo is in luuurve. Yeah, right." I'm not sure anymore whether that's okay. I guess I'll find out after I post this... .
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Closed Thread