Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Official FORT Lingo List

Our policy is to implement it across the board. If you have hundreds or thousands of posts and you slip one in occasionally, it looks like we are favoring people just because of their post count. The infraction system is a tool to keep us consistent with everyone.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2180335;
    I join you in infraction points for using the word "tho". Which believe it or not is actually in Webster's dictionary along with the word "thru".
    Both are "conjuctions" of the words though and through and are common spellings of both words according to Websters.

Silly indeed. I myself hate seeing kewl, TTYL, UR, etc., but I have been using tho most of my life.
    I've had to really watch myself since the infraction point system has been put in place because I am notorious for using "tho" and "thru"....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2180379;
    I've had to really watch myself since the infraction point system has been put in place because I am notorious for using "tho" and "thru"....
    I know the list is not comprehensive, but as most of the abbreviations on the list were for things like prolly and b4 and UR and cos, I never even thought about using "tho" or "thru" as they are accepted spellings for these words now.

So instead of saying Sat. nite, I should be typing Sat. Night? I've used nite for a long time too.

I think the whole thing is just very confusing and I guess assuming that since its in the dictionary doesn't mean its ok here?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There are a LOT of words that are in the dictionary that, no, are not okay here. Merriam-Webster doesn't set the rules here. And yes, we'd prefer night, even THOUGH () it isn't on the list.

We're asking people to spell out common words. It doesn't have to be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2174047;
    Does this mean I have to change my name?
    That's what I was wondering too, since mine is a play on words with my last name (Cozzens).

But I don't normally use coz to write because, but I'm sure I use thru all the time and have for more than 20 years. I've always looked at that as an abbreviation rather than lingo

I do certainly understand the rules though since I hate trying to read things with numbers instead of letters or words without vowels. I don't even use those in text messages even if they do save time and space.

No, nobody has to change their username.

Hopefully everyone realizes that these rules are put into place to make sure that this is an intelligent, articulate board for everyone. We're not trying to punish anyone, we're just asking that everyone not pander to the lowest common denominator. We understand that you don't all agree with this, and you're all certainly entitled to your opinions, but we do hope you can all try to understand our reasoning behind this request, and respect that we take it seriously.

No arguments here! I like the rule.

FORT Regular
    I understand the point of this. For example, when someone is like "wuz up y'all howz it goin'...i've been readin' dis site 4 yrs!"

But giving someone limited access for typing u is just over the top.

I'm sure this infringes upon our rights to freedom of speech. Don't we have a right not to read what someone posts also?

JQ, there is no freedom of speech for private sites. Only the government has to meet Bill of Rights provisions. Your freedom is to visit here or not, or to post or not. That's the extent of your freedom here. If you do choose to visit, your responsibility is to know and abide by our rules, and we expect nothing less. You are visiting OUR home while your here, and you don't get to impose your rules in our home.

Do you walk into someone's store, light up a cigarette, and when the owner tells you to put it out, say "this infringes on my right to smoke. Don't I have a right to smoke where I want to?" The answer is no, because the owner owns the building, and he sets the rules.

For those "long time members" who get the occasional infraction for violating the rules, please remember that infractions only last for 10 days, and it would be almost impossible to actually get a temporary ban for repeated violations, because you all know better. This is merely a way for us to keep track of these things, and shouldn't be anything traumatic in any way. And, of course, it helps us keep the site free from repeat offenders, which makes your experience here more enjoyable.

I think the violation "notices" are a great way to remind people of the rules. I just got a point because I put smilies with no text. Didn't know about that rule - can't remember them all. My brain is just too cluttered with other stuff. So I appreciate the reminder!

Closed Thread