+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Infraction System

Re: New Infraction System

Quote Originally Posted by Eamothlu;2544682;
    So I got a warning or whatever the hell you want to call it for using 'cuz' and 'prolly'. Since I'm not sure if the word 'lol' can even be used, I messaged the user who sent me this warning, but he/she never answered me.

What kind of service are the staff providing here? Not answering someone's questions. Thats pretty pathetic. It was a simple question. This process is very inefficient. Your moderators can't even answer to disagreements by the members.
    You asked two questions. One was "What has the internet come to", and you didn't even punctuate it with a question mark. You'll have to forgive us for considering it rhetorical. The other was "Can I even use 'lol'?" The fact that we have a smiley with a code of lol combined with the fact that nowhere in our rules do we disallow 'lol' also made it seem rhetorical.

Beyond that, you're a new member. The rules which you agreed to follow when you joined should be fresh in your mind. Did you not read them before hitting "I agree"? Should that somehow be our fault? That's rhetorical also - it's not our fault.

As to what kind of service we're providing, I can sum that up in one word: free. A free service. If you're not happy with it, there are other boards which you may find better fit your needs.

Also, many many many people are used to using the words 'cuz' and 'prolly'. It's very easy to slip once in a while. These words are appropriate...on the web. Why are they considered 'lingo'?
    Because they are. There are many, many people who do a lot of things. We don't care. If you think that's harsh, see ya. The vast majority of our members enjoy the fact that this is a netspeak-free zone. The staff is in 100% agreement that we like our words spelled out. So, no, those words are not appropriate on the web as a whole. Maybe some places, maybe most places, but not here. And that will never change.

I LOVE this site. I've read other message boards and been other places and never been so impressed with the dedication of a volunteer staff. Ever. I love that when I come here I don't have to dumb myself down so I can decipher what someone is saying. I think that the mods are fair and helpful and I can't express my gratitude for the hours of reading enjoyment I've experienced in my years of lurking and posting. Even though my interest in reality TV has been waning recently, I still find myself drawn to this community because of the orginization and the wonderful people who make up this forum. So thank you for sticking to your guns and keeping this place a haven for all of us.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2544711;
    As to what kind of service we're providing, I can sum that up in one word: free. A free service. If you're not happy with it, there are other boards which you may find better fit your needs.

If you think that's harsh, see ya. The vast majority of our members enjoy the fact that this is a netspeak-free zone. The staff is in 100% agreement that we like our words spelled out. So, no, those words are not appropriate on the web as a whole. Maybe some places, maybe most places, but not here. And that will never change.
    Absolutely wonderful response Amanda! I have previosuly posted that one of the BIG reasons I love this site, besides following the shows is that the posting is done in a manner which I CAN DECIPHER. We do NOT want to see another Gotti thing happening here. No NO NOOO.. Thanks to You, John and all of the Moderators, Forum Assistants and Writers that make Fans of Reality TV a home away from home. To the poster that you replied to I wave my hat and hold the door.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We might have to this to the Koffee Klatch, but honestly, I think the 0-lingo tolerance is amazing for 2 reasons: 1) we don't have to dumb ourselves down and 2) most importantly, it forces today's youth to spell things out. I am so worried about the morphing/degradation of the English language should writing lingo be more widely accepted. Can you imagine what it might be like in 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2545488;
    We might have to this to the Koffee Klatch, but honestly, I think the 0-lingo tolerance is amazing for 2 reasons: 1) we don't have to dumb ourselves down and 2) most importantly, it forces today's youth to spell things out. I am so worried about the morphing/degradation of the English language should writing lingo be more widely accepted. Can you imagine what it might be like in 20 years?

Could this be moved to Koffee klatch? I don't want to think about 20 years from now.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2544046;
    Wow. All I can say is please continue to do your jobs mods. I love this site for the fact that we can express ourselves without attacking each other, we can read what is written and not need a lingo dictionary to read it and we love each other here!
    Amen! I don't have a problem whatsoever in anything the Mods do. Bottom Line... If it's in the Rules, follow them! If you're unsure that what you are posting could be on the fine line...
    Go back & read the rules! There's no excuse if it's in black & white!

MRD

You know, I do appreciate this site being kept clean and keeping the netspeak to a minimum.

However, when I've received an infraction, I've also gotten uncalled and some harsh personal opinions on whatever it was.

I think the that the mods do a fantastic job-one I know I would NOT want to do. But I do think that when you receive an infraction, it should just say that you've received one and why and leave personal opinions and nastiness out of it.

Thanks again guys for keeping a great site for everyone.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by John;2544589;
    No one likes them, livin4reality. But the good part of infractions is that it gives staff a standard, reviewable way of monitoring who's done what with a post and user. And it allows us to visually see who our "problem users" are and take care of them so that people like yourself can enjoy the site
    Aw shucks John. thanks!

who would've ever thought? John is quite the charmer
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I think those responses are just downright rude and uncalled for. I have been a member of various forums with different rules, and although the rules at FORT may seem a bit 'harsh' to some, they make the quality of the forum so much better.

I used to post at a wrestling fan fourm, and half the time, you couldn't decipher what anyone was saying because they tip3 lyke dis or use phrases like 'pwned'. It really got on my last nerve.

The lack of internet lingo makes FORT a much more professional place for discussion, and it gives off a good impression to those who have never visited the site before.

And really, this is a place for discussion of reality TV; it isn't for you to complain about people who are just volunteering to make this site a better place. If you don't like it, then leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2545827;
    Aw shucks John. thanks!

who would've ever thought? John is quite the charmer

*Threadjack*
    You didn't realize that JOHN is quite the charmer from the moment he ENTICED us to JOIN the FORT, and then at the time become GREEN? *END THREADJACK*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread