+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Infraction System

If it's not the middle of the night, assume that someone checks the queue at least hourly. That's probably a good rule of thumb.

Thanks, John

Re: New Infraction System

Effective immediately, we are making some changes to the infraction system.

All infractions will remain "active" for 30 days rather than 10. And we will be imposing a cap on the number of infractions received before a ban is imposed.

For those who get the occasional infraction, this will not affect you one bit. It's because we have a few "regular offenders" who need this type of enforcement.

Thanks, everyone!

I think the infraction system is a good one. I also think the Mods try to be fair about it. I must say, once you get one, your not likely to forget that rule again...:nono ...LOL. I do have a question, though. What is considered a 'new' member and what is considered a 'regular' member?

Also, if you are like me and visit numerous forums with different rules at each one, it is tough to keep them all straight. Especially if you are blonde like me..

The restriction against new members is aimed at catching spammers - those people (or computers or whatever they are) that hit a forum and just start posting advertisements or links to their sites. So you become a regular member just by hanging around and posting like a regular person. You don't have anything to worry about!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I wasn't sure if you had to be a member for X amount of time or have X amount of posts. Thank you for clearing that up.

I tell you I've really only spent any time at two other sites over a lot of years (I am a computer tech so that is probably rare)

One was a game site that is long gone. I loved playing chess at one point on-line. The other was a quit smoking site.

I've never really ventured out to any other sites except here for more than about a minute because they are so ? just not monitored and anything goes.

I like it here and I've gotten out of line myself and I don't mind someone telling me to knock it off if something really ticks me off and I want to go in attack mode.

I have had to watch it when I'm tying though (I go to type tho) and cuz)
    that's the lazy in me. I really do love this site and glad it's set up the way it is.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Hi everyone. There's lately been a rash of responses to infractions, privately to staff, that are completely unacceptable.

Infractions are given, as I've mentioned previously, so that we can ensure that our staff are giving them fairly, appropriately, and using language that has been pre-defined. If you receive an infraction, it's nothing personal, it's just that you've broken a rule that you agreed to when you signed up.

The staff do not take into consideration how long you've been here, whether you've had previous infractions, or who you're friends with. They're not "out to get you" or "following you around looking for problems". They're just doing their job, and they DO NOT deserve the kind of verbal abuse they've been receiving. It ends now.

Infractions do not have an appeal process, except for the fact that our moderator staff (those in red) review all infractions given to make sure it meets our guidelines and is in fact against our rules. Because of this, a response to the staff member giving you an infraction is not necessary, but if you're going to argue your case, it's very likely a wasted effort.

And, more importantly, effective immediately, being belligerent in any response to a staff member will immediately earn you at least a 3-day ban from the site.

Our staff works extremely hard to keep this site under control and to be a problem-free place for you to visit. You CHOOSE to visit, and we appreciate that, but you do so under our rules and terms. You also CHOOSE to post, and when you do, it is under the agreement that you are aware of and will follow our rules. Failure to do this will result in an infraction, whether it's your first post or you've been here for 5 years.

If you don't agree to learn and follow our rules, your choice is simple. Don't post.

Our job (the mod staff in red) is to ensure that infractions are handed out fairly and appropriately. Your job is to ensure that you don't get one. There's no favoritism involved in this at all.

I will create an announcement regarding this as well, but the rules are in effect immediately.
    Last edited by John; 08-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.

I should also mention this: we've had several members who have said "go ahead and ban me" in their responses. And we do. If you ask, you shall receive. Don't be surprised when it happens. And if you don't mean it, don't say it.

I wanted to post some example snippets of responses we've gotten just in the last few days, so you can see the kind of thing that's going to get you banned. These are from various members, and again, just within the last 3 days:

If I wanted to be "snotty" or mean, I'd have said a lot worse. I was following up appropriately with the way I'd been treated. Get over yourself and get back to moderating.

Most of the infractions I have had are very fringe type things and I have on more then one occasion pointed out the innacuracy of the infraction, and not once have I ever been given an apology or a removal. But I understand that is the case when people with generally little power in life get a little control of something, anything, they run amuck.

Sensible modding now, c'mon. Changing it would have been enough. Let's not go nuts.

Let's not go crazy with power.

You people seriously warned me for using simple words such as 'cuz' and 'prolly'? Thats ridiculous and pathetic lol. Can I even use "lol"? I can't believe you people. What has the internet come to.

Censorship is appalling. The word is NOT profanity. I think I should be allowed to levy an infraction against you for calling me out on such a MILD word. Shame on you. I wish nothing but the worst for you.

+ Reply to Thread