+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 10/15

There are a couple of new features in the new software, too, that I should tell you about.

1) If you double-click the icon in front of a forum name (in Trump style, it's the little buildings), it'll mark that forum as "read" instantly. It's pretty slick, if you're a stickler about having all of your forums read.

2) There's a new drop-down next to the page-number listing in threads, where you can specifically type in a page number to go to it immediately.

3) Private messages now include a "BCC" option, so you can copy people and the others won't see you've sent it to them.

4) You can now sort threads in a forum on multiple options, such as things like "number of replies", "number of views", and so on.

5) User names will auto-complete in a bunch of areas where you might want to type them, such as the PM box, buddy lists, etc.

6) We have the ability to add RSS custom feeds which can create threads. We're exploring how best to use this option, but one is that we could automatically create new threads for new reality TV news.

7) You can now choose to receive private messages ONLY from "buddies" on your list. Prior to this upgrade, you could only either turn them off or on. Of course, staff will always be able to PM you.

8) You'll now get a warning when your PM box is 90% full.

9) We have podcasting support built-in.

10) As I've posted before, new threads and posts are now database-driven rather than cookie driven. If you log off, the posts you haven't read aren't automatically marked as read. If you step away for 15 minutes, you can come back and everything is just as you left it.

There are also a ton of staff administration functions that are new or improved, which will help us better run the site and make your experience enjoyable!

You've been quite busy! Thanks for all your hard work improving the site, John!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Pretty much the only thing I don't have back is the pager system. No one has quite figured out how to get it to work yet with the new software version. Some people are close, and as soon as they get it right, I'll re-install it. But I don't want to break anything else, or install something that doesn't quite work.

I like all the changes, John. The drop down on the page numbers is cool.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

WOW - thanks
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

My addiction to the arcade is back

Thanks
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Wow, I got called in to work tonight and come back to find all these new cool stuff! The boss man been doing some serious work.

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar
    Hmmm, maybe I'm losing it but there seems to be fewer games in the arcade now? I just "discovered" the arcade only a day or so before it went away and it seems to me that some of the games I enjoyed aren't there anymore.

Or am I nuts? Wish I could remember the games' names -- that would be helpful, I guess -- but I can't.

It's definitely possible there are fewer or some different games. I had to re-load them, and did it from memory. If there's one you liked that you miss, let me know and I'll get it back in place.

Thanks for all the hard work John. The performance of the new site is great

+ Reply to Thread