+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which server are you on?

Which server are you on?

Want to know whether you've moved from the old server to the new ones?

This graphic will tell you. It'll change automatically when you've moved successfully.

Please post here if you're on the NEW server, and are having problems with anything.

Oh, of COURSE I'm still on the old server. Everytime we have an upgrade, I'm one of the last ones to move over. What determines the order, just out of curiosity? Is it totally random, regional, alphabetical? I know my question is probably silly, I just have no idea how it works.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Well, okay, here's the lay-explanation. And this isn't just for us, this is for anyone who either starts a new domain name or moves one.

The genius of the internet is that information is passed along in a bucket-brigade type of setup. Your computer makes a request to your ISP, who who has a listing of "name servers" on the internet. A name server holds a collection of domain names, and what IP address that domain resides on. Once it locates where the domain is, it requests the web page, and passes it along to your computer.

The name servers send out new lists, every 24-48 hours roughly, and sometimes faster or slower depending on where you are in the chain. When your ISP gets a new packet of information from the nameservers, it's updated, but those packets get handed along from ISP to ISP.

So, if you're in an area of the internet that gets slow updates, you're going to pretty much always be the last to switch. And if your ISP is further up the chain, you're going to switch quicker.

When we make a change, all we can do is tell our nameserver that we're on a new IP address. The rest is all just a waiting game for that information to get to you.

By the way, if you want to see how many "hops" you are away from the FORT (and thus how many hands your particular bucket needs to be passed through before it gets to you), go to a command line prompt, and type "tracert fansofrealitytv.com" - that'll give you the route and number of hops.

An "average" number of hops is 12-15. I'm currently at 17, so it'll probably take me a little while to switch.

Very cool, John, thanks. Looks like i'm at 17 as well. I guess I'll meet up with you on the new server around the same time.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm on the new server John but the front page didn't load. It gave me a blank white screen. I got in by opening a saved post.

New server.

I don't see any member info like who is on or where, but associate that with a heavy night unless told otherwise.

Navigating, viewing and posting appears to function A-OK.

It has been extremely slow the last hour, it takes almost a minute to load a page.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    By the way, if you want to see how many "hops" you are away from the FORT (and thus how many hands your particular bucket needs to be passed through before it gets to you), go to a command line prompt, and type "tracert fansofrealitytv.com" - that'll give you the route and number of hops.

An "average" number of hops is 12-15. I'm currently at 17, so it'll probably take me a little while to switch.
    Sorry John, I just don't get it. What's a "command line prompt?" I'm very tech-challenged, sorry.

I use Yahoo and IE as my browsers. Both were slow and both say I'm on the old server.

Please advise what I should do.
    Last edited by roses4me; 04-12-2006 at 11:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast