Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1959606162636465666768697071727374 LastLast

Thread: POST of the Week!!

Re: POST of the Week!!

Way to go, hikari!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member

Great post, hikari, congratulations!

What I call the "Biggest Loser" effect was in play again last night: To wit, any posted loss of less than 10 pounds being a big fat failure of will on the part of the contestant. ANYBODY who has attempted weight loss knows, especially for women, how slowly it comes off, even when you are doing everything right. But in the face of 27-freaking-pound losses in one week by some of the men, 5 pounds, by contrast, is 'failure'. Are you kidding me?? A 5-pound loss in a week would make anyone, man or woman, champ of his/her neighborhood Weight Watchers chapter. At least half of any first-time weight loss is going to be water; a 5-pound loss in subsequent weeks is probably pure fat, and so that is awesome! But in this climate of wildly inflated expectations (pun intended!) I think both the contestants and the viewers at home might lose perspective on just how hard it is to lose even 2 pounds in a week.

The people at the ranch ('scuse me, CAMPUS) have the privilege of focusing exclusively on working out. For those of us in the real world, and when they return, eventually, to the real world, 8-hour workouts are not an option. I know that huge weight loss numbers make for good TV, but it is no wonder that most of the former contestants, 2 and 3 years on have put back a lot of their weight--it came off extremely fast, under extreme conditions. Unless they could sustain 8-hour workouts every day (with a full time job and family, who could, and still get any sleep), they will not be able to maintain that insane pace of weight loss.
    This is so true, and it has bothered me since the beginning - and they always show the disappointment on the faces of the trainers whenever someone only loses a few pounds. You were right on the mark with your comments.

Great job, hikari!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Excellent post, Hikari!

Premium Member

Whoa, that is a seriously good post! And entirely accurate.

I loved the part "A 5-pound loss in a week would make anyone, man or woman, champ of his/her neighborhood Weight Watchers chapter."

Totally.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Great post, hikari! Congratulations on the award.

Honours this week go to a JulieAnn, for this post in the ANTM forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn
    I don't think Victoria was cut for being intelligent. I think she was cut because she couldn't take direction/feedback from anyone because she viewed herself as being better than everyone--including the judges. Tyra's comments to her after she was eliminated were very telling--"Listen to the experienced ones."

I'm a former psychology professor and I've encountered students just like Victoria. As the prof, you want to help and guide them because you want to help them learn the subject matter. But their attitude is amazingly arrogant to their peers and to their professors. The arrogant power games they play is quite annoying...

Victoria was playing a power game with Twiggy. I'm sure, with her confidence, she is used to winning power games and "putting people in their places." Speaking up for yourself is not the same as trying to "put someone in their place" (listen to the tone of her voice). Unfortunately for her, she met her match and she was sent home. Or, perhaps it was fortunate for her because it stopped her in her tracks and perhaps that is what engendered the very nice comments she had at the end.

Go back and watch, if you can, when Tyra is doing the dramatic "who will go home" part. Victoria's face says it all when she realizes that her usual behavior was not welcomed by the judges. Perhaps from this experience, she will have learned that she needs to be sensitive to the various "work cultures" that she goes into. This is a problem with many young people I have worked with. But after one or two humiliating episodes from the experienced members of the workplace, the new person catches on (hopefully).
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...poilers-3.html

Congratulations
    "That's Numberwang!"

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Way to go, JulieAnn

Great post!!
    Wake up and be awesome

Great post, JulieAnn.

Congratulations, JulieAnn! Glad to have you posting here.

+ Reply to Thread