+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: POST of the Week!!

Wow. You like me! You REALLY like me!

I'd like to thank the POTW judges for this, my SECOND such honor. I have to thank all of the wonderful FORTskateers for making this a place worth spending a few minutes to talk intelligently about our favorite shows.

So...how many more of these would I have to win to get asked to become an official FORT writer? Or would I have to earn my way in by doing recaps of "Bullrun" on Spike...just to prove my mettle?

pg

PS--Seriously...thanks for the thanks and I'll wear my blue ribbon this week with pride!

Congrats pg13! You wear the blue well! Great analysis of the choices.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

This week's Post of the Week is by JFlo, in response to the never-ending question of whether Survivor has jumped the shark. Congratulations, JFlo!

Quote Originally Posted by JFlo
    A Resounding YES!!!

Survivor has jumped before, but has always managed to jump back again. I don't know if the show can make it's way back on course after jumping this great white. Here's my take on the entire series...

JUMP # 1 - Survivor Marquesas Live Post Show w/Rosie O'Donnell. (Season 4) That Gilligan's Island parody was nauseating! There was so much I wanted to hear about from the contestants, like how come the ROTU 4 did not know how to count to 9, but instead I had to listen to Rosie go on about Kathy's make-over.

Jump BACK #1 - Survivor did not jump back until season 6, Survivor Amazon. (Season 5 in Thailand was one gigantic snoozefest which had me terrified that the show would be canceled.) Thanks to great casting and surprising tribal power shifts, the Amazon proved to be very entertaining to watch. Each week post-merge proved to be a surprising demise for whomever thought they were "in control". Thank you Rob Cesternino.

JUMP # 2 - Survivor Pearl Islands (Season 7)'s introduction of "The Outcasts". So much for "The Tribe Has Spoken"! I still haven't forgiven Burnett for giving Lill a second chance, and in turn handing her $100,000.

JUMP #3 - Survivor All Stars (Season 8). This experiment blew up in Burnett's face, because he did not anticipate how little these wannabe famous reality show contestants REALLY cared about winning the million. People hung out, dropped out and made out. That's about it.

Jump BACK #2 - Survivor Vanuatu (Season 9). The "She-Males" of this season made it fun to watch. I loved how the women were so hell bent on a "strong female alliance" only to let a fast talking man with a mullet break them. I for one loved the fact that the final two were about as redneck as you can get. Oh, and it warms my heart to know that Probst found true love on that season.

JUMP #4 - Survivor Palau (Season 10). I did not mind watching Steph's tribe get decimated. It was fascinating, really, even if the ENTIRE Koror tribe was winning it's challenges solely due to the strength of Tom and Ian, (and every so often a very surprising Coby.) I did not even mind that show's crew came to the Koror tribe and built them a shelter (it worked into the whole army theme/motif they had going). But the moment Probst convinced Janu to quit, in turn giving Stephenie an extra three days, I had visions of Burnett and Co. soaring over that shark yet again. Probst, whose disdain and disgust for former quitters had never been witheld, literally talked Janu into quitting with the finesse of a David Kelly TV attorney. All because the Jersey Pharm Rep had the highest popularity rating since Rupert.

Jump BACK #3 - Survivor Guatemala (Season 11). Now you may ask why I take offense to Stephenie being saved back in Palau, but am not bothered by the return of Steph and Bobby Jon in Guatemala. There are SO many reasons that I can not fault Season 11: The unbelievably tough living conditions that made all other Survivor seasons a trip to Paradise Island; Judd and his nasty foul mouthed explosions (He called them "SCUMBAGS"!); the truly PSYCHOTIC Jamie, and his Georgia/Alabama rivalry with Bobby Jon ("Don't 'big boy' me' "); Rafe's skillful manipulation of the Jersey faction of Judd and Stephenie, and last but certainly not least, Stephenie going from most liked female to most despised and annoying. I loved Survivor Guatemala, and happily, I felt the show managed to stay on track through Survivor Exile Island (Season 12) and Survivor Cook Islands (Season 13). The beautifully dysfunctional Casaya tribe of Season 12 and the beautifully faithful and hardworking Aitu of Season 13 made Survivor both fun and fascinating to watch yet again.

But now they have jumped the shark again, and this time while sipping coffee out of china cups and sleeping on a feather bed. These contestants are both boring and a disgrace to Survivor all at the same time. And I completely agree with EMJOI who stated that we the viewers have a "strong sense of fairness". It's just not fun to watch one tribe suffer while the other tribe is on holiday. Not to mention the fact that this goes against everything Burnett ever said Survivor was. Isn't it supposed to be a social experiment where people are stripped of the luxuries of day to day and left to rely on their brains and body in order to outwit, outplay and outlast? I will watch it this Thursday if only to see Lisi actually have to play Survivor for the first time in 20 days, but if it doesn't start to get interesting, I think I am done.

Here's hoping the show will find it's way back on course. But I don't have my hopes up.
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post2297751

Congrats to JFlo!

Excellent post. You do honor to the ribbon, you truly do!

pg--seattle

WOW!! I was so shocked and thrilled to see the blue ribbon next to my name!!! There are some great writers/theorists on these boards, so I consider this a huge honor.

Thanks to John & Co. Your unending dedication to the FORT is so appreciated, by so many people!
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Great post JFlo!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Congrats JFlo on your BLUE RIBBON!! What a great analysis about shark-jumping on Survivor.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Very interesting and deserving post, JFlo. Congratulations!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    So well written! I agree, wonderful post and much deserving of the "Post of the Week" award. Congrats, JFlo!!

+ Reply to Thread