+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The FORT Suggestion Box

I must be missing something. What prevents you from going to the last page, or last post, in the Show Discussion thread? This gets you past all of the during-the-show discussion, except that people on the west coast would still be discussing during-the-show stuff.

I don't see the difference between that and what you're proposing, except to make a LOT more work for the mods, and confusing our members.

I may be wrong, but here's what I think.
    When the show is first aired, people on the east coast discussed it as it happens (play-by-play) on the spoiler thread. Then when it ends they start discussing the show more in depth. Then the show comes on for the people on the west coast, but they can't do a play-by-play as their posts get lost in all the after-show discussions. So they often end up just avoiding the thread until the show ends for them and can't enjoy the feeling of watching it with other memebers like the people from the East Coast can. Did I make it clearer or more confusing?
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I must be missing something. What prevents you from going to the last page, or last post, in the Show Discussion thread? This gets you past all of the during-the-show discussion, except that people on the west coast would still be discussing during-the-show stuff.

I don't see the difference between that and what you're proposing, except to make a LOT more work for the mods, and confusing our members.

Well, nothing prevents me from going to the last page. But, I feel like I have to read the entire thread first so I don't repeat what other people have said during the play by play. (plus, I do live on the west coast- so I usually want to watch it first before I start posting- causing pages and pages of stuff to go through. Also- when I hit the 'view first unread post' (?) part, I never get back to where I was before).
    I don't really understand how adding a new thread makes it more work for the mods...can't anyone basically start a new thread?
    This was just a suggestion- nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like it- say so and we will move on...

The reason it would add work for the mods is that we wouldn't be able to lock down the forum on show nights because only one thread can be open in a locked forum. That means, mods would have to patrol the forums to make sure spoilers weren't posted. Additionally, they would have to make sure east coast people didn't post in the west coast thread. Then, what people are proposing, is to merge the threads, which would result in a jumble of play by play, then discussion, then more play by play, because the software merges threads in chronological order.

I'm a west coaster, and I personally would rather be protected against spoilers more than I would care to have "real time" posting. I don't think it's a big deal of you go directly to the end of the thread. People understand about time zones, and I don't think anyone is going to get bent out of shape if you post the same idea later in the thread.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Oh my. I don't like all the extra things that got added. Like the "go back" and "go to last post" things. It looks a little crowded. Or was that stuff already there and I just didn't notice?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The reason it would add work for the mods is that we wouldn't be able to lock down the forum on show nights because only one thread can be open in a locked forum. That means, mods would have to patrol the forums to make sure spoilers weren't posted. Additionally, they would have to make sure east coast people didn't post in the west coast thread. Then, what people are proposing, is to merge the threads, which would result in a jumble of play by play, then discussion, then more play by play, because the software merges threads in chronological order.

I'm a west coaster, and I personally would rather be protected against spoilers more than I would care to have "real time" posting. I don't think it's a big deal of you go directly to the end of the thread. People understand about time zones, and I don't think anyone is going to get bent out of shape if you post the same idea later in the thread.
    But wasn't it suggested not to have two threads open at a time anyway? Once the forum unlocks for the show, then start an *after the show discussion* thread. We assume everyone has already seen it, so it isn't spoiling for anyone. This thread would be no different than a cast member thread- it's just an add on for people who don't want to bother with the during the show discussion. Anyway, no biggie- like I said- it was just a suggestion and sometimes suggestions don't really work

True, but also consider that for the people on the east coast, they've either got to wait until well after midnight to use that thread, or they've been hanging discussing the show for three hours in a thread that is going to be abandoned.

I don't want you to think that we're not open to change, but the mods have gone around on this thing and haven't come up with a system that will work better than the current one. We are very committed to keeping the forums spoiler-free, and that's basically the starting point.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hmm. I'm actually thinking I'm having some sort of computer issue and I'm just seeing text where there are normally graphics. Maybe it's just me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

No, Star, I see them too. Feels odd, but I'll adjust. But I keep hitting "go back" because it's where the Fansofrealitytv.com button was.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Hmm. I'm actually thinking I'm having some sort of computer issue and I'm just seeing text where there are normally graphics. Maybe it's just me.
    It's not just you.

+ Reply to Thread