+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The FORT Suggestion Box

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The problem with that setup is that the people coming in for the live show at a later time zone would be seeing the last posts of the people who just finished watching it - i.e., spoilers.

I can only see something like this working with separate threads for separate time zones, which would change the way we lock down forums, etc. Currently, locking down the forums has done a lot to eliminate spoilers for us on the West coast, and I would hate to see that go by the wayside.
    With nothing but respect for the people that work so hard running this site, I just want to say that I don't understand why this is so complicated. I certainly don't want to open a can of worms with my suggestion. Obviously this has probably been debated at some length by the powers that be...

My Suggestion: Why don't you just leave the forum open with a general warning to west coast viewers that on show night the forum can contain information from east coast viewers in any thread and that if they want to avoid spoilers they should stay out of that particular forum until they've seen the show?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I think that's extremely unfair to our members on the west coast, to have to completely avoid the forum (and quite possibly the site) for 3 hours each primetime to avoid spoilers, and this is the reason we have the lockdown.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I think that's extremely unfair to our members on the west coast, to have to completely avoid the forum (and quite possibly the site) for 3 hours each primetime to avoid spoilers, and this is the reason we have the lockdown.
    Thank you John. I am one of those west coasters who appreciate the efforts to those who want to remain "unspoiled."

Quote Originally Posted by John

No, no, no ....since I originally suggested it- this is my thinking. Have the *show discussion thread* as normal- everything else locked down. Then, when the threads open up again- start a new thread of *after the show discussion*. We assume everyone posting there will have already seen the show or read the discussion thread. The problem I have, and why I suggested two threads in the first place, is because after I see a show, I have to go through pages and pages of discussion- read them all before I post my opinions- which can get very tedious if I am in a hurry or have a quick thought I want to get out. I would rather jump into a new thread with everyone who has already seen it. Hope this makes it more clear
    Or...is there any way I can mark as read the entire discussion without reading it? That, I guess, is my main problem...
    Last edited by Sunnyone; 05-19-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    Or...is there any way I can mark as read the entire discussion without reading it? That, I guess, is my main problem...
    At the top of the page, under post reply, there is a link that says "View First Unread". I hit that link to do what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by deblyn
    At the top of the page, under post reply, there is a link that says "View First Unread". I hit that link to do what you are talking about.

But does that work if you haven't read any of the thread? I will try it next time. I guess I would just like to see a thread devoted to the posters who have watched the show and can just go post. It won't take the place of the spoiler thread by any means, but just another thread for discussion without pages of discussion
    John, why can you only keep one thread open during lock down? Just wondering...

Sunnyone, why not just go to the last post in the thread if you don't want to read anyone else's posts? You hit the "last post" button when looking at the thread.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    John, why can you only keep one thread open during lock down? Just wondering...
    It was custom programming done for our site, and that's the way we spec'ed it out. There really wasn't a need to have multiple threads unlocked during showtime.

count me as one of the people that would like a separate thread, and here is why. I want to read the thoughts after people have watched the show, but don't need to read the details of what happened during the show. I usually try to guess about where the end of the show will be and just skip pages until I find where that place is. If there were a separate thread I won't have to juggle through all those unnecessary posts about during the show.

I'm not a west coaster, but I've heard them say more than once that they too would like to be able to do a play by play of the show as they watch, but can't because their posts get losts with all the afterthoughts of those from the East Coast.
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

+ Reply to Thread