+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Problem

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2345715;
    I just had the strangest thing happen. I changed my avatar and when I clicked save changes I got a pop up that said something about computer could be affected download system registry checker. Well I of course know my system is NOT infected and then it redirected me to system doctor (?) website. Had to use task manager to close explorer, would not let me close explorer via the X. Just thought I'd pass this on to all to NOT click anything. just do ctrl alt delete and end task that way.
    I hate to say it, but that does sound like a spyware issue. FORT doesn't use pop-up advertising as far as I know. Try using Firefox and see if this happens again.

I just had the same thing happen, Gabriel. I clicked on a thread and it immediately opened up a site asking me to download some kind of registry error checking software. Had to use task manager to close it out...probably some stupid spyware, like Leo said.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Happened to me to, and I use a Mac. Not suseptable to spyware.

ETA: I wasn't doing anything. Logged on, went to User CP, and then got the pop-up. Actually took me to another site as well as a pop-up.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 04-23-2007 at 09:12 PM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Leo
    Premium Member

Strange, I just experimented with uploading an avatar and I got nothing like that... very strange indeed.

If someone could do a screenshot so that I can see the ad at the top of the page when this happens, I'd appreciate it.

John, I got it on another computer of mine, but could not get a screenshot because the pop up box opens in the center of the screen while the browser window goes to the lower right of the screen as a 2x2 box, then when you close the pop up with the X the browser maximizes to the registry checker site and you cannot do anything with your mouse. If I get any more I'll try to see what banner is at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2346143;
    If someone could do a screenshot so that I can see the ad at the top of the page when this happens, I'd appreciate it.
    Here they are in order of appearance...

First this alert:

Clicking 'cancel' brings up this page:

Click 'cancel' and you get this alert:

Clicking 'OK' sends you to the following page:

Along with this pop-up:

And an automatic download:

ETA: I removed the link because, although it takes you to the page with no incident, when you try to move on you wind up in the same cycle.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 04-23-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Thanks for posting that Uncle David

Uncle David, you didn't happen to get the banner ad at the top of the page did you? I think that is what John is looking for also.

I didn't. Using the history url only repeats the process. The problem with the banner ad is, it is gone immediately as you are redirected to the blue page, or is obscured by the first alert. In FireFox this type of alert appears as a drop-down from the top of the window.

If it happens to me again, I'll try to at least get a corner of the banner.

+ Reply to Thread