+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: We're back!

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    So what happened? Another hacking?
    Read the announcement. I cover what happened pretty thoroughly there.

Huh. The announcement on the top of the page just says you'll say what happened later... am I missing it?

It's probably right in front of my face.

DJ, here's the announcement from the temp site, which explains what happened.

As some of you know, and everyone has experienced, the site has been down since Monday at around 2:30pm Eastern.

Here's what happened. We suffered a memory chip failure on our server. It took the system down. When they replaced the memory chip, the server would not restart. After running some diagnostics, it was clear that our host would have to re-install our operating system.

Because we were trying to minimize data loss, we asked them to pull the hard drive, put in a new one, install the OS on it instead, and then put our old drive back in the system as the third drive (our database runs on the second drive). This was completed on Tuesday afternoon.

I then had to move everything back to the new drive, to get the system up and running. Somehow, in the process of setting things back up, I accidentally wiped clean all 3 drives. Everything we had, on all the drives, including my backups, was lost. Permanently. Everything.

I'm working with our host to try to get some semblance of the site back up, rather than start over from scratch. I *do* have a backup of the system, but it's rather old (how old, I don't yet know, because I can only access the backups through my server, and I can't get into the server until they set me back up).

Temporarily, I have set up a new webhost, and set up a temporary FORT for people to stay connected while we try to get back to a state of somewhat normal. Complicated by the fact that I am currently on-site with a client, and working 10-hour days where they actually expect me to work.

I appreciate the fact that you've hung with us through this nightmare, and hopefully we'll all come through on the other side a bit worse for wear, and get back to dissing or loving our favorite shows. The site is not going away, and we will soon know where we stand.

Thanks so much, Mantenna. I never saw the temp site. And thanks, John, for working so hard to get everything back up and running!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Basically we sat for quite some time not knowing whether the temp site was all the Fort we'd ever have . It wasn't until we all saw that familiar teal we all went .
    I just have to say thanks to John again for the hours and hours of hard word to bring us back together in our happy little addiction.

To those very few I've seen whine and complain , hey I didn't miss you, you can go away anytime.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    I just have to say thanks to John again for the hours and hours of hard work to bring us back together in our happy little addiction.

To those very few I've seen whine and complain , hey I didn't miss you, you can go away anytime.
    Amen to that, sister.

I strongly suggest to all of those that consider Fort their second home -- become a Premium Member!!!. Sheesh -- it's only $2 a month... chimp change compared to all the time and hard work John puts into this place to keep it running smoothly. If you can't afford it, that's cool -- but if you can, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Just sayin'...

How to become a "Premium Member"
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Big ups to John for getting the FORT back up - I was getting worried that the only way I'd be able to vent over Survivor would be throwing things at my TV.

Not big ups to my ISP for being slow on updating their web address stuff (this has happened before Charter :nono). I must have been one of the last ones on the Temp site and one of the last ones back over here too. Like I said over there, these last few days had me this close to becoming a Luddite.

Once again thanks
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Just wanted to say I know this is a lot of hard work (since I have trouble with fixing an avatar to the right size and I'm fairly intelligent)
    Anyway, it must have been a HUGE job switching servers and all you had to do. So John Thanks! And everyone working for you too!

I actually was not on here at all for the longest stretch (over a week straight since I joined - just very busy with life) so I didn't have to suffer withdrawals!

Great job you guys!!! Good luck with the rest you need to get done.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Just curious - where was the temp site? How did people know where to get in to it? All I saw was a page not found thing when I tried getting into the regular site.

The temp site was on the same domain, so you didn't need to look for it. However, domain name propagation decided whether you saw it or not.

+ Reply to Thread