Closed Thread

Thread: The truth about private messages

The truth about private messages

Well, let's see. Some disgruntled former member has accused me of reading private messages, so I'd like to address the issue once and for all, publicly.

1) I have never, and will never, read any members' private messages. Although I have full access to the database where private messages are stored, I firmly believe that a members' private messages are just that - private.

2) I do, however, see private messages that are between other members, when one of them forwards them to me for whatever reason. Just like with any other e-mail that someone forwards to you.

3) This is a private site. I own it. I pay the bills. The server is mine. Everything on the server is mine. That gives me the right to decide how I want my private resources used. If that means I don't want people using my resources in the form of private messages to plan and execute an exodus from this site to another competing site, that is certainly my right, and I will enforce that right whenever possible.

4) If you don't like 1-3, then you can find another site. Without using my resources to do so.

That's the end of this discussion.

I'd like to add #5. If you worry about people reading your private messages and e-mails, y'all need to learn how to use an instant messenger program. The PM system on a forum system is extremely unwieldy compared to an IM.

Closed Thread