+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: STOOPIT questions that aren't so stupid

Quote Originally Posted by John;2111388;
    That's hot-linking. You need to save that picture, and re-upload it to a site that YOU control, like photobucket. If you're posting a picture with the URL on another site, then when it shows it here (to everyone who views it), it goes to that other server to get the picture every time. That eats a lot of bandwidth from that other server. Most people have to pay for bandwidth. In extreme cases, sites will shut down if they hit a certain amount in a month.
    so if I post this link (It is from Dreamers photobucket)http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...merss04222.jpg

Is this BAD??? I understand she has very generously give permission to use her pics.
    If it says photobucket ot the like in the link - then it's postable?

Sorry to be so dumb about this .
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

It would be better to save the picture to your computer, and upload it to your own photobucket (or whatever) account before posting it here. Photobuckets have limits on bandwidth, and Dreamer's account shouldn't be penalized for having her photos posted here, after kindly allowing us to use them on our site.

How do I mark threads/messages as read? For example, I read the Lost thread, but would like to mark the last message that I read. Can I do that, so that when I come back, it will "remember" where I left off?
    Does that make sense?

pfeiffer, that happens automatically. When you leave a thread, it remembers where you were, and when you come back in it, it goes back.

Since the upgrade, I have not been able to access FORT from my home computer. I use the same link to access it from home and work and it works at my office, but not at my home. I deleted all the cookies and history. Why is that happening?

Without an error message or something, it's kind of hard to diagnose. But, maybe try coming in directly to a forum (write down the URL at work, and then type it in at home).

It's very weird John. I did exactly what you said to do, and the message "The page cannot be displayed appears". I can access other sites, just not this one

Ok, I'm not even sure if I can describe what my problem is good enough so someone can help me.

Before, when I came on, I would look at a few threads and leave. When I came back, all the threads, read or unread, would be rearranged based on if there was a new posting and the older threads with no new postings would drop down and the new threads with new postings would move up based on my last visit.

Now, if I don't read the thread, it stays up. Is there any way to change my settings so that if I don't read the thread during one visit, I go away, come back and there have been no new postings since my last visit, it moves down. I've been playing with my settings and I can't get it like it was, or does that option no longer exist.

boy I hope this makes sense to someone.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

nlmcp, posts being marked as "read" is now database driven. It doesn't set them based on cookie timeout. If you don't read a thread, it no longer automatically marks as being read. If you want that functionality, you have to use the "Mark All Forums Read" link at the bottom of the forum listing before you leave.

Is it possible to visually increase the number of posts that appear on a page?

I've looked through a couple of threads and user cp for the last 15 minutes or so and haven't run across an answer.

Hoping it wasn't right in front of me all along, but if anyone could give me a yes or no and direct me on how to do it I'd appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread