+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by monique_46
    I have been trying so hard and someone on the board has been kind enough to help me, but I just can't seem to get a custom avatar to work. I found a photo on the internet that I want to use, then copied it to Accessories and got it less than 125 x 125 pixels, but I get a message saying it's not a valid .gif, .jpg or something else. It IS a valid photo, saved as a bitmap image and less than the size that is required. Does anyone have a suggestion what is wrong? I sure would appreciate it.
    Ahh, I figured it out. I just needed to Save As a .jpg... finally!!!
    Anywhere you go, let me go too. Gerard, that's all I ask of you.

Sorry no one was around to help you monique. The size restriction is 125x125 pixels, but there is also a file size limit. .bmp's make for large files. I'm glad you figured out the problem on your own.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

eny
    FORT Fogey
    An avatar has to be a .jpg or .gif file.

A great cheat that usually requires no resizing, is to use google images and save the thumbnail size. It is usually under the 125 px already.

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    I need a new avatar and have hit an avatar related writers block. Any good suggestions for places to browse avatars? This Simple Life season 1 thing currently in place has got to go.
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

You can go to Google, get to Google Images and do a search for anything you heart desires (well, within FORT's PG-13 guidelines, at least )
    If you find a picture you like but have trouble resizing it, just ask and one of the fine folks here (myself included - as a fine folk, I mean ) would be happy to help
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    You can go to Google, get to Google Images and do a search for anything you heart desires (well, within FORT's PG-13 guidelines, at least )
    If you find a picture you like but have trouble resizing it, just ask and one of the fine folks here (myself included - as a fine folk, I mean ) would be happy to help
    Right on. Thanks for the offer of assistance. I've installed Paint Shop Pro 5.0 which has a pretty handy resizing tool for those pesky .gifs/.jpgs

Off hand, are animated .gifs allowed to your knowledge?
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

Probably a question better posed to one of the mods, but I DO know that .gif extensions are allowed, and there are people here with animated avatars - I supposed it depends on the file size.

I'd check with a mod. (lobeck, Mantenna and hepcat are around - just PM one of them)
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

eny
    FORT Fogey
    You can use an animated gifs , but no one here appreciates jumpy in your face ones. We're not a games forum full of 12 yr olds. The file size is limited to 29.3KB, which will give you maybe one or two layer changes

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Hi, if 20/20 won't work for you, try downloading Irfan viewer. It's free and takes about 10 seconds.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

All you have to do is open the image using Irfan, then Resize/Resample the image. It allows you to put the dimensions in. 125x125 is the avatar limit, I believe. Also, if you're working with a .bmp, make sure it saves as a .jpg so that the file is smaller. Good luck!
    I was having problems with the avvys too. The Irfan works great!! Thanks again whoever let me know that!

nite all !

Hmm looks like FORT is in for a douse of MORE COWBELL now.

Thank you very much for the help here.
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

+ Reply to Thread