+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatars

Hi, if 20/20 won't work for you, try downloading Irfan viewer. It's free and takes about 10 seconds.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

All you have to do is open the image using Irfan, then Resize/Resample the image. It allows you to put the dimensions in. 125x125 is the avatar limit, I believe. Also, if you're working with a .bmp, make sure it saves as a .jpg so that the file is smaller. Good luck!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

if you still have a problem, G, you can pm me (click on my user name and go down to "send a private message", attach your photo, and I'll resize it for you. If you still have a problem, pm me and we'll work through it. Don't be overwhelmed or afraid to ask questions - we've all been there. We (well, most of us ) are a very friendly bunch here
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

can't get enough ANTM guillermoluvsme's Avatar
    thank you guys so much...you are the best and this site is the best. i really appreciate all the help today.

guillermo,

One other thing that you can do is just use Paint, a program that's on your computer under Accessories. That's the only one that I bother with because it's just simple and that's the only thing that I use it for.

When you find a picture that you like... right click on it and then select SAVE PICTURE AS and save it to your hard drive.

Then go to START - PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - PAINT. Within Paint, click on File - Open and find the picture that you want.

Once you have it up... you'll click on IMAGE on the tool bar. The first thing that I would pick on that menu is Attributes, because it will bring up the size of the picture as is. Then you should be able to gauge how much you need to shrink it.

If you like the picture exactly as it is (meaning you don't need to crop it), then once you see the picture size... go back to the IMAGE menu and pick Stretch/Skew. There you will be able to shrink the picture a set percentage. So... say the picture was originally 400x400, you know you have to get it down to at least 125x125 or smaller. So.. you'll go to Stretch/Skew, enter in 25% for both vertical and horizontal and then voila... you've shrunk it enough.

If you want to crop the picture a little, you can crop it in the Attributes section by changing the pixel measurement.

Then just resave your pic and then upload it as your av. =)

Hope this isn't too confusing. Also... you can't send attachments through PMs, so you'd have to attach the picture here and then ADK or whoever is around can shrink it for you.

Good luck!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

thank you again everyone

Nice AV, G!
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Thanksss

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    guillermo,

One other thing that you can do is just use Paint, a program that's on your computer under Accessories. That's the only one that I bother with because it's just simple and that's the only thing that I use it for.
    Good luck!
    Broadway, That's so cool! I never knew about paint!
    Thanks!!!!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    guillermo,

When you find a picture that you like... right click on it and then select SAVE PICTURE AS and save it to your hard drive.

Then go to START - PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - PAINT. Within Paint, click on File - Open and find the picture that you want.

Once you have it up... you'll click on IMAGE on the tool bar. The first thing that I would pick on that menu is Attributes, because it will bring up the size of the picture as is. Then you should be able to gauge how much you need to shrink it.

If you like the picture exactly as it is (meaning you don't need to crop it), then once you see the picture size... go back to the IMAGE menu and pick Stretch/Skew. There you will be able to shrink the picture a set percentage. So... say the picture was originally 400x400, you know you have to get it down to at least 125x125 or smaller. So.. you'll go to Stretch/Skew, enter in 25% for both vertical and horizontal and then voila... you've shrunk it enough.

If you want to crop the picture a little, you can crop it in the Attributes section by changing the pixel measurement.

Then just resave your pic and then upload it as your av. =)

Hope this isn't too confusing. Also... you can't send attachments through PMs, so you'd have to attach the picture here and then ADK or whoever is around can shrink it for you.

Good luck!
    This information was so helpful that I printed it out and have it hanging on the wall! Thanks for sharing some very clear directions.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I have been trying so hard and someone on the board has been kind enough to help me, but I just can't seem to get a custom avatar to work. I found a photo on the internet that I want to use, then copied it to Accessories and got it less than 125 x 125 pixels, but I get a message saying it's not a valid .gif, .jpg or something else. It IS a valid photo, saved as a bitmap image and less than the size that is required. Does anyone have a suggestion what is wrong? I sure would appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread