+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Test Thread - Go ahead - Try stuff out

That site probably blocked your image - some don't much care for "hotlinking", as it's really bandwidth theft, for which some people pay pretty dearly.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    That site probably blocked your image - some don't much care for "hotlinking", as it's really bandwidth theft, for which some people pay pretty dearly.
    Can you explain "hotlinking"? The Brad Pitt pic shows for me but the ADK's doesn't. Am I guilty of hotlinking? Can I plead innocence on grounds that I am a computer dunce?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

If you display an image on a site using a URL from another site, you're "hotlinking". Basically, it's not using any of our server's bandwidth (which is the number of bytes a server's host allows you to send and receive from your server each month), and is using theirs every time someone sees the picture. If a picture is 100k, and it's viewed here, for example, 100 times, then you've used 10 megs of someone else's bandwidth. Some sites are only allowed 1 or 2 gigs per month, so you can see it's easy to go over, and people guard their bandwidth pretty tightly.

We don't allow our images to be hotlinked, and I actively protect them from being hotlinked on other sites. So I don't blame any other sites for doing the same. Even though we have a ton of bandwidth because we have expensive servers, it's still considered "not nice" in the internet world.

Actually, John, the photo was one of my own, from an album I have posted on webshots.com (tried to sign up for photobucket, but they have a time limited window of opportunity when you can sign up, so I signed up at webshots instead) I know people on a canoe paddling forum site who use them all the time, and link their pics to posts there..... Surely other posters here must use webshots.com, no? Or am I hotlinking, too? I certainly don't want to be viewed as taking anything from anyone....I don't know of any other way to get a full sized image in the main body of my post (previously I downloaded images to my computer, and attached them as thumbnail images.) Is that the only not "not nice" way to do it? I read how to use the [ img]url address [/ img] function on another thread in Help Desk topics
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

If you're linking from an account you've signed up for to store images, that allows them to be linked on other sites (GeoCities is a notable exception to that last note), then that's fine. And in that case, I'm not sure why the image isn't displaying now.

Hotlinking isn't so bad if you're linking from a fairly large site, because they probably have the resources. It's a killer for small sites, though, because they usually have very small bandwidth allowances, and their hosts make them pay big bucks for anything extra (or suspend their site until the end of the month, as I'm sure you've seen around the net when you go to a site and an error about "exceeding bandwidth" has come up).

I feel that I should add that I wasn't saying "shame on you for hotlinking", because I honestly don't care as long it's not FROM our site I just wanted to offer an explanation of why your image that was working may not be any more...

Thanks, John, but just so you know I honestly didn't feel like you were taking me to task or anything, I just wanted to be sure what I was doing was on the up and up and that I wasn't really hurting anyone (read: small guy, not big corporate types). I appreciate the explanation - I'll have to check / try again later or contact webshots to find out the problem. Thanks for responding so quickly.

For what it's worth, I can see both pictures on both of my computers, and they are set up slightly different.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

It worked!

OK - now I'm with photobucket, so I'm going to try the [ img] thing again

+ Reply to Thread