+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you quote two separate posters to include in your own post/reply?

Yep, you've got it, just remove the spaces inside the brackets.

Testing one

Quote Originally Posted by SillyString
    John,

I tried two practice thingies and I'm still not getting it.

What did I do wrong?
    This time I hit the quote button and just started to type. I'm gonna do this till I get it right!

Testing Two

Dang. I had a nice reply, hit some button with the pinkie of my left hand, and poof! the whole thing disappeared. Now, I'm gonna start again. Once again, with feeling...
    And then I write blah, blah, blah,

And hit submit...

I'm up, I'm up!

WooHoo, I've got it. By jove, I've got it!

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

If you're in a hurry you can put your reply in the reply box and "Go Advanced" or simply go there first. Cut and paste what you want, and a quick way to wrap the "Quote" tags around something is to highlight it, and then press the "Quote Tags" button. Then if the quote is from someone you can put in the "=so-and-so" part. That's the easiest way for me if I'm doing multiple quotes, because in "Advanced" the previous replies are all available below and you can do it all with the mouse.

(actually I now see the "Quote" tag button is in the normal reply area as well)
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    You type [ quote=username]paste the quoted text here, and then type [ /quote]

Then do another [ quote=differentusername]paste the second set of quoted text here, then type [ /quote].

I'm really sorry if you're frustrated with newbies by now, but...

Does this mean that you have to have more than one window open at the same time? One window for the post you are creating and another window for the thread you intend to take quotes from?

This is my first message board I've participated on. I've been a lurker forever and I'm really slow on the uptake.

Thank you, Brusch!

I really appreciate the time you spent to tutor me. I'll try it now.

I highlighted your stuff...I copied and pasted your stuff...(you mean COPY and paste, not CUT and paste, right?) Here I am pasting...

If you're in a hurry you can put your reply in the reply box and "Go Advanced" or simply go there first. Cut and paste what you want, and a quick way to wrap the "Quote" tags around something is to highlight it, and then press the "Quote Tags" button. Then if the quote is from someone you can put in the "=so-and-so" part. That's the easiest way for me if I'm doing multiple quotes, because in "Advanced" the previous replies are all available below and you can do it all with the mouse.

(actually I now see the "Quote" tag button is in the normal reply area as well)
    I got this far, but, I don't see a "Quote" tag button anywhere.

I see a "Close Current Tag" and "Close All Tags" buttons, both with red x's on them, but I don't know what they are for or what they mean.

Oh, wait a second...There's a cute little button on top which says, "Wrap
    [ Quote ] tags"...I'll try highlighting your words and using that button...

VOILA!

Aaaaaannnnnddddd submit...

There's no "q" in "dear!"

Dear John, greenie, Leo, and Brusch!

You guys (gals?) are the greatest, I tell ya, the greatest!
    Last edited by SillyString; 05-04-2004 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelled Dear wrong

Newshound, if you're using the quick reply at the bottom of a thread, you can copy the text (by highlighting it with your mouse and pressing Control+C), and then paste it into the Quick Reply box by pressing Control+V. Type the quote tag first, then press control+v, then type the ending quote tag. Feel free to practice here if you'd like, until you get comfortable with it.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Feel free to practice here if you'd like, until you get comfortable with it.
    Thanks. I never knew what Quick Reply was, so I've only been doing Post Replies. This is much easier...

OK John
    I think I've got it now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12