+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Banner Advertising on the FORT

FORT Fogey
    OMG, if we all quit viewing websites with ads or pop-up banners, there would be no place on the net to go. Click on em if they interest you, ingore them if they dont.

You dont quit driving on the expressway because of billboards on the roadside....

on vacation
    Quitting FORT, selling your television, covering your eyes when you walk past a newspaper box in public, not listening to the radio, it's a tough job but somebody's gotta stand up for what's right and do it, guldarnitttt!!!!

Good luck with that, CEO.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Okay folks, I think that's enough bashing.

John has explained the banner (and ALL the banners for that matter).

Give it a rest.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by echo1960
    Heck, I didn't even notice the banner. I was just joking with you. Why in the world would you leave because of a stupid banner of ANY kind?
    I don't want to see a fun website I like to visit be used as a political soap box and I made my question out of real curiousity about what was up. When I come to places like this, it is my 'off' time and I want to share it with like-minded individuals. I don't want to feel like I am intruding on a place that has an alterior agenda -- I don't think many posters on the internet do.

Star-gazer and John both answered my question and I realize that the banner space was sold and is not a politcal endorsement of that particular presidential candidate (and that, was my question). I can live with someone making money (like CBS charging for advertising) to support the website. SIDEBAR: I own a popular web forum of my own with more than 9000 members and I pay for it myself out of pocket. I don't sell memberships and I don't have banner advertising. No one has to tell me how much an internet community costs to operate.
    Last edited by CEO; 04-20-2004 at 05:39 PM.

FORT Fogey
    CEO - Bravofan is more than correct and I wanted to say that my personal post wasnt meant to bash you ...I was only thinking out loud about the state of adverstising in general. I wanted to make sure to point out that I was not directing anything at you in general. Just a stream of conciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    ...any more than it means that I or this site endorse Vonage or Bounty Paper Towels, 2 other advertisers who run ads on this site.
    Whoa!!!

I just got back from Costco with a trunk full of Bounty Paper Towels! You are saying this is not required?!?!?

On a serious note. Stick around CEO, as John noted, it was just an Ad, and I certainly don't subscribe to the floppy world of John Kerry, but I fully support his right to advertise where he can.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Out of respect for John, I will adhere to FORT rules and not bash...

However, in light of the SIDEBAR mentioned...the original question/comment about the banner seems redundant. I'm just sayin'.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

This particular thread just goes to show how people react differently to ads. I just started laughing out loud when I saw the JK ad.

CEO, it would be a shame to lose you over a silly ad. Certainly we want you to be comfortable in your surroundings. I am sure you will have fun at your own site. Why are you not there now?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

on vacation
    I apologize too CEO, because honestly, I assumed you knew about the banners. By knew, I mean that usually they come as a group, not specific to wishes of the site.

So anyhow, my apologies.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

I will also apologize, I guess I took your statement the wrong way. Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast