+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rules/monitoring different threads

Rules/monitoring different threads

Some threads get 100 or more posts daily and some might only get a hand full. I know that in some threads it has and may be requested that the posts generally stay focused on what it seen on TV and other threads might keep a "good" amount of the focus on i.e. I love him so much cuz he's soooo hot!!! Is there a happy medium somewhere? I don't mind the adoration some reality personalities get but, it seems that on certain threads there is so much personal focus on how someone looks and where were they on such a day that someone posted a picture of and who they might be dating, and how hot they are etc. It's almost the "bad" version of the National Star or Enquirer!

I was wondering if some threads either prohibit or discourage certain types of posts because there are many more posters than others. Is it okay for threads with less posters to add a good dose of gush between other posts because there are such fewer posters?

FORT Fogey
    Great post Eldee.

I have to admit that I personally (and relatively unintentionally) have been guilty of making posts in the past that can create follow-up posts that spin off of the topic at hand and the main theme of the thread.

Some self-discipline from us posters can go a long way to keeping the threads on track - but like in conversations in life - one theme tends to lead to another.

I supposes its a different story when its just people gushing about how hot someone is or whom their dating etc. So maybe for those cases a thread can be created in the Gen Discussion threads for discussing individual performers as opposed to a specific show that they happen to star on.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I've also noticed over in the Bachelor Forum that new threads are created that pretty much say the same thing as some previous threads, just with a different title....almost as if the thread starter didn't take the time to review the threads on hand to see if anyone has discussed the issue yet?

I don't want to be a bother to the mods as they have enough on their hands, but what's the best way to handle this? Ignore it (like I have been)? I'm a busy body and inquiring minds want to know.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

on vacation
    This is a very good thread eldee!! I think for the most part, what Daddio said is right on. Self discipline is the way to keep threads on track and to show that some of the people here really want to debate the "meat and potatoes," if you will of the show.

Clearly though as eldee said, some threads and even forums, are going to attract more of the gush because of the amount of posters. I think it has a lot to do maybe moreso with new people here than people who have been around. They're learning the rules and that's gotta make it hard for tptb. I have to be honest and say also that whenever I've read something that I even thought about reporting, I've realized the threads already been closed before I got there.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

As long as threads are on-topic, and not duplicates of other threads, they are fine for whatever - gushing, news, real discussion, etc.

If a thread gets started that's a duplicate or very close to another thread's topic, please report that thread - you can save us some time if you include a link to the original thread in your report description (or at least a thread title).

Believe it or not, the mods actually LIKE posts and threads being reported - because it means you've seen a problem that the mods may not have seen, and we can take care of it quickly.

I guess I'm not sure if or what you're asking, Eldee. Some threads naturally get more posts than others, that's just the nature of things. Are you advocating us telling people to knock off posting so much in active threads, and encouraging posting in less active ones? I don't honestly see how we could do that, if we even wanted to.

FORT Regular

Can I delete my own previous posting?

I'm sorry for posting in the wrong spot, but I need to know how to delete one of my own posts. Is that even possible?
    I realized that one of my posts covers ground that someone else in the thread touched on already.
    Thanks!

Only within 30 minutes of posting. But if that's the only reason, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Quote Originally Posted by John
    As long as threads are on-topic, and not duplicates of other threads, they are fine for whatever - gushing, news, real discussion, etc.
    Now I understand that the gushing on threads is okay. I wasn't sure because repeated warnings re: gushing over Clay in the AI2 Clay thread was strongly made from the previous season. You now answered my question that gushing is now okay from other posters. Thanks for the answer.

Depending on how I read your thread, I have two comments. If you are talking aout the gushing about Clay in the Clay thread last year then:

There's a difference between someone gushing once or twice... hell even three times in one thread about a contestant. The reason things got out of hand in the thread you mentioned was because some posters posted 3-4-5-6 times IN A ROW about how sexy-great-funny-sincere he was.

Posting one's opinion a couple times is one thing, posting one's opinion 100 times is something else entirely.

If you mean that peopled were warned this year about posting over and over about Clay in the current AI forum, then obviously it's discouraged because Clay was last year. There is no reason to post about him over and over again in the AI3 forum.

If you didn't mean either of those, well then... I have no idea and will shut up now.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    If you didn't mean either of those, well then... I have no idea and will shut up now.
    That's okay. You don't have to "shut up". I'm not one to put down someones opinion. It's not necessarily bad to bring up other issues either or to show how rules can vary depending on the circumstances for the good of all.

+ Reply to Thread