+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: FORTcon 2004 - October 15-17, Chicago, IL

Leo
    Premium Member
    Anyone willing to spring for a few trans-Pacific tickets for me, Dex, lalol, and everyone else from this part of the world?

You've got 6 months, can't you work your way across on a freighter? That's what my cousin did when he backpacked across Europe!

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by John
    You've got 6 months, can't you work your way across on a freighter?
    Or win your way in a poker game, Jack Dawson style. Although that didn't work out terribly well for him.....
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    Thanks, Star. I'm a committee member 100% devoted to creating a hip hoppin' rockin' FORTcon 2004.

I'm sure you could all care less, but I am booked at the Westin O'Hare for $109/nt, plus you get a $20 food voucher if you book online at www.westin.com. This is an excellent rate for an excellent 4 star hotel.
    Just a quick logistical note to all my FORT friends coming to Chi-town:

O'Hare airport is "techically" on Chicago soil, but its about a 30 minute drive or so from down-town and - dependent on traffic - it could take well over an hour. The airport is actually in the suburbs on a peice of ground "owned" by Chicago (which is one reason they are having so much trouble expanding the airport - hard to get permission from the surrounding burbs).

So those choosing to stay near the airport will want to consider getting a rental car (assuming the FORT-Con is held in the loop). There is plenty of public transportation once you get into the loop (buses, taxis, the "L" etc.) but there is not much in the burbs. They assume we all have cars. LOL. There is a train the runs from the airport to the loop however.

This is one reason there is a large convention center near the O'Hare airport (Rosemont) - due to the inconvenience of getting to and from the airport/loop.

Hotel rooms are much cheaper in the burbs (things like "Motel 6's" and "Days Inns" can go for under $50 a night) but you will need to consider logistics.

For those flying into Midway Aiport - similar sitaution. Midway is also located about 30 minutes or so from the heart of the city in the South West suburbs. But its off of an expressway (The Stevenson) that seems to ALWAYS be under construction - so be prepared for it to take longer than that. Dicey neighborhood, so I would NOT reccomend getting a room near Mid-way.

PS: the Bears schedule came out yesterday and they will be playing the Washington Redkins at Soldier Field on Sunday Oct 17 at noon. The Bears sell out every game but walk-up tix can always be found out front for either face value or modest scalping "Who needs two???" LOL

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Daddio; 04-16-2004 at 12:32 PM.

Daddio, thanks for the advice, but we are recommending the 6 hotels located closely together and near the airport, and most all of our "FORTcon functions" will be happening in that area.

You probably will not need a rental car while you're there - any off-site events can be reached via Metra and El, or taxi for a reasonable sum.

The blue line runs directly into O'Hare.

ETA: Oh. I just noticed you mentioned that, Daddio. But with that being the case, it's very easy to get into the city from the airport, so I guess I don't totally understand your point. You can always transfer to other lines.

I would add that, if you'd like to help out, please contact Stargazer. She and the committee are planning everything, and we'd like to avoid duplication of effort. We appreciate the insight of the locals, but what we're doing really has less to do with Chicago and more to do with "all of us getting together".

That's good to know, John, since I will be taking my own car, but don't wanna drive around an unfamilar city either, I find it intimidating!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Daddio, thanks for the advice, but we are recommending the 6 hotels located closely together and near the airport, and most all of our "FORTcon functions" will be happening in that area.

You probably will not need a rental car while you're there - any off-site events can be reached via Metra and El, or taxi for a reasonable sum.
    Perfect. Thanks John. Here is a link for the area you folks will be in the (Rosemont). Lots of good info

http://www.rosemont.com/index_f.shtml

+ Reply to Thread