+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How can we help conserve server resources?

How can we help conserve server resources?

Given the recent influx of new members and site traffic, I was curious if there is something we members can do to help improve site performance. For example, I have over 600 pms sitting in my pm box because I am too lazy to go through them to keep the ones I want. If I delete most of them (and others do as well) would that type of thing help the site to run faster?

Also, I've noticed that people often quote posts with large images in them. Does this type of thing suck up a significant amount of memory that in turn slows down the site? I have tried to make a mental note to delete the image when quoting a post containing images, when possible, but am unsure if it makes a difference.

Just curious...any other things we can do?

Helping out how we can will make the site better for everyone.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Good thread, OTS. I agree -- whatever we can do, we'll do.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

There's really not a lot that members can do, with the exception of turning off the display of avatars and signature lines (settings you have available in your user cp). But I wouldn't want people to do that, since it would diminish the enjoyment of the site.

When we get the memory we need, things will get better. I promise we'll do whatever it takes to make things fast for everyone again.

Yes, we all do love our avs and signatures

You are doing a great job John, I'm sure you will work it out, but let us know if we can help!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Okay, after thinking about this a little more, there ARE some things that members can do, if they are so inclined, to have some impact.

1) In your User CP "Options", you can change the default number of posts to display per page. Setting this to 50 or 100 reduces the number of pages the server has to load on large threads.

2) Same place, at the bottom, you can choose which editor you get. If you choose "basic editor", you don't get the nifty little clickable boxes, but if you know the vbcodes for what you want to do, you don't need them anyway.

Those 2 things make a decent contribution to server savings, without reducing your experience on the site. And in fact, the posts/page setting might be something you come to love. I know fluff LOVES 100 posts per page.

Done, and done.
    - Albert Einstein

I made those changes, but I noticed the "newsletter" enabling one. Are newsletters still being done?
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Done. Anything to help out.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I have always my page default set to show 100 posts and I love it!! Smooth scrolling with scroll lock and much less time wasted changing pages all the time .. besides is much less intimadating to see that you have 3 pages rather than 15
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Okay, I am already loving the 100 posts per page setting. Why the heck did I leave it on the other setting for so long? Maybe this should be the default...
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast