+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL - Is john too overbearing and hurting this site's open exchange?

FORT Fan

POLL - Is john too overbearing and hurting this site's open exchange?

I know this simple question will get me banned from the site..but hopefully John is not afraid to actually get opinions from his sitemembers with regards to his exerting too much control over the free speech on this site. I am sure he does not have the guts to actually let this post stand and read what many think of his meddling into forums simply because he CAN meddle as the site's owner.

Before I ban you (and yes, I will):

1) This is the Apprentice forum, there is a Help Desk forum for discussion of site policy. This does not belong here.

2) You have no freedom of speech on this site. It is a privately owned site, and your freedom of expression is limited to what I, as the person who owns and operates this site and pays the bills, allow you to have. No more, no less. If I say you can't use the word "vociferous", that's my right, for example. You have no room to complain about my imposition of rules.

3) The internet is wide open. If you don't agree with the way this site is operated or moderated, you are free, or more accurately encouraged, to find one of the many other sites out there, where your personal opinions will be more readily accepted and allowed. THAT is the extent of your freedom, as far as this site is concerned.

Anyone who has a problem with this can PM me, post in the Help Desk forum, or e-mail or PM any mod (anyone whose name is in red) on this site for clarification. There is no room for argument on this point, however.

PSi
    Writer7, you are a litlte off your rocker on this one.
    -There are dozens if not more internet sites regarding specific shows in question, and i know people who are members of two or three similar sites (i think we all do)...so its not like John's forcing people to stay here.
    -There is no more free speech here than if you made a homepage and someone tried to leave a message there. If you don't like the message, you'll obviously delete that. John can do the same thing if he so chooses....but the key issue is that he doesn't.
    -The only "meddling" as you so put i have seen usually deals with the TOS of the site or messageboards in general (language, trolling)
    - And there's difference between "free speech" and "open discussion." If you went out and tried to slander say one of the contestants, you could under free speech, but that does not promote healthy discussion- which i may add, there is tons in here. It's not like people are taking their liberties going "i can say what i want." People want to talk about the show, not talking about being able to talk about what they want.
    -John has removed a couple of my posts, but he always PMed me expalining what i did wrong, and after reading it, agreed with him 100% and tried to take it into consideration. He is, IMO, a very hands-off owner. He lets discussion run its course, for good or bad, and then usually steps in at the end to say either a) the show's over, move on or b) the show's lawyers know what they're doing. the contestant will get his prizes, period. How is that meddling?

Face it, you've been here for two months and from the post count, haven't really explored the site at all. You haven't meant the wonderful people here with various stories, you seem like a troll just looking to stir up trouble.
    Good riddance.

You agreed to John's rules when you signed up. Simple as that.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Before I ban you (and yes, I will):

1) This is the Apprentice forum, there is a Help Desk forum for discussion of site policy. This does not belong here.

2) You have no freedom of speech on this site. It is a privately owned site, and your freedom of expression is limited to what I, as the person who owns and operates this site and pays the bills, allow you to have. No more, no less. If I say you can't use the word "vociferous", that's my right, for example. You have no room to complain about my imposition of rules.

3) The internet is wide open. If you don't agree with the way this site is operated or moderated, you are free, or more accurately encouraged, to find one of the many other sites out there, where your personal opinions will be more readily accepted and allowed. THAT is the extent of your freedom, as far as this site is concerned.

Anyone who has a problem with this can PM me, post in the Help Desk forum, or e-mail or PM any mod (anyone whose name is in red) on this site for clarification. There is no room for argument on this point, however.
    AMEN!

You should be ashamed of your trollish behavior. It is not appreciated and you will not be missed.

Although I will miss "vociferous".
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Yeah to all the above (except Winter7).

What attracts so many to stay here is the civility. I like the fact that abuse towards fellow FORTies is not tolerated. It is too easy to change the subject and slam the writer, whereas it takes a little brainpower to keep the topic at hand and defend your post vice taking another way out.

I am sure he does not have the guts to actually let this post stand and read what many think of his meddling into forums simply because he CAN meddle as the site's owner.
    Looks like someone underestimated John.

Anyways, have fun trolling elsewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Winter7, if you don't like it here, leave. Simple as that. Why complain?

If you don't like the products a store carries, you leave.

If you don't like a restaurant's non-smoking policy, you leave.

If you go to someone's house, and they don't permit you to wear your shoes, but you're unwilling to take them off, you leave.

Every place, every person has rules, and is entitled to them. You don't have to like them...just take yourself elsewhere, PLEASE! We don't want, or need, your disrespectfulness, arrogance, and feelings of self-entitlement here.
    I support the right to arm bears.

If anything, it's my opinion that John is too easygoing sometimes, and for that I'm grateful. I also think he and the moderators here do an outstanding job running this site
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Is john too overbearing and hurting this site's open exchange?
    Obviously not enough so. John, please continue to "meddle" away! Thank you.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast