+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL - Is john too overbearing and hurting this site's open exchange?

i love our members!

honestly, it's john's playground and we are just his guests here. if we let everyone come here and bash each other and bash the site and bash the rules... well, we'd be the same as the million other crappy message boards out there. by having these rules, we get rid of the type of posters that add nothing of value to the conversation - and the type of people that we don't care to converse with anyway - and maintain a much more civil, interesting, friendly and fun environment. if you want to bait and flame, beat it - we don't want you here.

Winter, I hope you are enjoying the results of your poll.

I always crack up when people start going on about "freedom of speech". Freedom of speech means that you can say what you want and not be prosecuted for it by the government. It doesn't meant that you can say what you want and everyone has to like it. It certainly doesn't mean that someone has to host your comments on their own web site that they pay for and maintain.

There is a reason why this site has such a large membership of civilized, intelligent human beings. It is because we can hang out here and have discussions without members flaming other members. I have to admit, there have been a number of times I have been tempted to tell another member exactly what I feel about his or her comments, but I respect the rules here, and am always glad that I didn't let myself get baited into a silly argument that would have benefited no one.

It is too bad that you don't feel you can enjoy all the great threads and discussions at this site and be respectful of John's rules at the same time. To echo all the posts above me, no one is forcing you to read or post here and there are a million other sites that allow flaming and general belligerence, otherwise known by some posters as "freedom of speech" :rolleyes. So have at it.

Once again, John ~ thanks for running a great site.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Winter, I have GREAT news!!! I heard on the radio this morning, that doctors in Holland have perfected the stickectomy. Iím sure you can get yours removed with little pain.

Good Luck
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Thank you, John, for providing a place for civil discussion of not just reality shows, but life in general.

Thanks also to the other mods who assist John, and to the writers who provide us with so many laughs through their humorous articles.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

PSi
    Writer did it to his/herself
    This all came about when they started a racial thread in the apprentice...which is just ludicrous...especially a) for that type of show and b) in this day and age.
    what a Troll with a capital T.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    John...?
    I can't vociferate about anything anymo? :sniff:

I think it's funny how the crud comes to the top of the pool all on it's own. TA TA writer7, have fun at another site where people will probably flame you into oblivion!

John, I personally think you DO NOT hurt the site's open exchange and you're NOT overbearing. Quite the opposite.

ETA: Hey!! THIS was my 1800th post!!
    Last edited by Maveno; 04-08-2004 at 12:43 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Wouldn't happen to be your black mesh shirt, would it
    oh gawd Texi!! please say it's the black mesh 'wifebeater' and not a full t-shirt .. too much coverage
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

OK, black mesh? Please say it ain't so John
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I've said too much as it is, Duxxy!

*feels restraining order #2 coming on*
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i love our members! ......
    And I love and agree with Sher and the rest who posted 2nd and down from that and up to the post above. Did I leave anyone out?

+ Reply to Thread