+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software upgrade

Software upgrade

As some of you know, the software we run this site on (vBulletin) has been in various stages of beta-testing for several months. We made the decision a while back to move to the new version, even though it was slightly buggy, because the improvements were so great versus the older version.

Today, the first actual production release will be available for the software.

Some time in the next 2-3 weeks, we will be upgrading to this new production version, and hopefully will fix a few of the remaining bugs we're experiencing. We will be doing some testing behind the scenes first.

When we do upgrade, we will temporarily lose all of our custom modifications, but we will work to minimize the impact on our members.

Are there any changes that we should look out for?

I won't know until I get the software installed for the testing, possibly later today, and start poking around. I'll obviously try to minimize changes unless I feel they make the site better.

Perhaps this is somehow involved in the slow site today.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I am anxious to see how this works out. I keep getting knocked off, but don't know if that's just my lousy connection.

on vacation
    I tried getting on once today and was told the server was too busy. I just figured so many people want to be on talking about AI most likely and shrugged it off.

If there are a lot of changes, I'll just have to have them explained to me in my computer blondeness and I'll be fine. Besides, I along with every else here I'm sure, appreciate what you're trying to do for everyone.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

The system was unavailable most of the day because of the finale of ANTM last night, and the number of people trying to access it. The software upgrade has been delayed at least a week, because I had some problems setting up the testing area, and we want to make sure it's right before putting it in place.

Who ever said that running a site way easy?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The system was unavailable most of the day because of the finale of ANTM last night, and the number of people trying to access it. The software upgrade has been delayed at least a week, because I had some problems setting up the testing area, and we want to make sure it's right before putting it in place.
    Thanks for all your hard work, John.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

For anyone interested, one of our newest software modifications is in place, and currently in use in the High School Reunion forum as a test case.

You should notice what it does right away. It auto-ends at 1am Eastern.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast