+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Sizing

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar

So many of you have really cool avatars (some animated How do you find pics for your avatar? Do you have to resize the pics? Is that hard to do?

The only way I have figured out to find pics (other than the ones provided on FoRT) is to do a Google Image Search. When I search for small images - most of them are so tiny you can't see them, or they are totally boring stuff. If I search for medium size, they seem to be way bigger than the 125X125 pixels.

If anyone has any hints on finding better pics that are the right size (or how to resize them), I sure could use the help

Thanks...Kaicee
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

I also really want to know this, I have some reallllly good ones that I don't know how to re-size.

Princess
    Read some about it in this thread.
    On the first page, John has posted a link to a free program called 20/20 - it's nothing fancy, but it lets you do the basic stuff, such as taking part of a pic and resize a pic etc.

If you go to www.google.com you can search for images (select image search).

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Just a quick note, when you use google images for your search , just save the img as given on the results page. Don't click on it. It usually falls into the pixel size for avs already without any resizing.

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    I usually just Save the picture to my hard drive, then resize it with my Paint Shop Pro Program, save it, then upload.

I'm not sure if you can do this with the regular paint shop but paint shop pro is super easy
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Just a quick note, when you use google images for your search , just save the img as given on the results page. Don't click on it. It usually falls into the pixel size for avs already without any resizing.
    Thanks everyone! I used eny's suggestion and it worked Kaicee
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

i just photoshop it.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

eny
    FORT Fogey
    The google thing works if you have no graphics program.

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    Read some about it in this thread.
    On the first page, John has posted a link to a free program called 20/20 - it's nothing fancy, but it lets you do the basic stuff, such as taking part of a pic and resize a pic etc.

If you go to www.google.com you can search for images (select image search).
    its a gem

bigger avatars

On a similar note, the size restriction concerning pixels, 125*125, is annoying: it is far easier to fit into the kilobytes restriction, 29,8 kb if I am not mistaken. The thing is that I know of forums that have a restriction of 150*150 pixels. To be able to create an excellent avatar, size is important, color is secondary (my opinion).

I am certain there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, it is I think rather obvious: the admins don't want the board all flooded with giant avatars, pages won't load fast enough and there will be more server space consumed. Anyway my wish would be for a size restriction of 150*150 but let's say 20 kb (a compromise).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast