I've had a couple of questions about all the different ways our members and guests can help support the FORT, so I wanted to list them all here, so you know what each thing is and how it helps:
1) Using PayPal donation (button is at the top of the main Forum listing). This uses PayPal, and about 97% of it goes directly to the FORT. Some have asked what a "standard" donation is, and I don't really have an answer for that, but in most cases, those who have donated have done so at around $20-25. But, even if you only want to donate $5, it helps.
2) Using the Amazon Honor System (banner is at the bottom of almost all pages). This uses Amazon, and about 97% of it goes directly to the FORT.
3) FORT Gear at Cafepress.com (Link is in the FORT Gear thread). When you buy FORT logo clothing & accessories from the site, a portion of the sale goes to the FORT.
4) Non-Amazon Banner Ads (At the top of every page, rotating). I get paid a tiny amount from every non-Amazon banner displayed, regardless of whether you click on it or not. It totals about 50 cents per day currently, because the advertising economy is so bad.
5) Amazon links and banner Ads (at the top of every page, rotating, and sprinkled in other various places). If you click on an Amazon link, and buy something from Amazon within 24 hours (it doesn't have to be the item you clicked on), the FORT gets 5% of the cost of the item. So, if you buy a $20 DVD, the FORT gets $1.00 from it.
Let me just say thank you to everyone who has helped us out by buying something or donating! We're never in any danger of the site shutting down, though. I definitely didn't start the site with any expectation of making a profit on it, but the site being self-supporting is my ideal goal. Currently, with hosting costs and software support costs, it runs around $60 per month to keep the FORT running. My time is, of course, free.
In the future, there will be a version of the software available which will allow me to give some benefits to those who donate, such as larger PM boxes, etc.