+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods Deleting a post

Mods Deleting a post

When the Administrator or a Mod deletes a post, is there a reason as to why a brief PM is not sent to that person whose post was deleted? I've seen posts asking about it or repeating basically the same kind of post. Wouldn't it be beneficial to send a one sentence PM to let the FORTER know that their post was deleted and why? Especially, if it didn't obviously go against the site rules. Are other criteria used that the rest of us are not aware of?

In most cases, when people ask "why did my post get deleted?", it hasn't been deleted at all, but has been merged to a thread where it belongs.

As a general rule, I don't send PM's for post deletions or merges, because I do it so often through the day that it would double my already heavy workload. I can't speak for the other mods, they may be more accomodating than me.

Eldee, a lot of times, when one post is deleted, any/all posts that have responded to that post are deleted as well to avoid any sort of ensuing confusion.

LG.
    if it is a newer member or I otherwise get the impression the "spoiler in a contestant thread" violation or whatnot is an honest mistake, I try to send a PM. However, it depends upon how busy the site is and how many other Mods are online at the time whether or not I have a chance to do it.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I can only speak for myself, but I only PM a member if their post is getting deleted when it isn't obvious and I think they may not know. Most people know why it gets deleted, a spoiler post in wrong thread, language, etc. As John said, often it's been moved to a different thread. You can always check the recent posts feature to double check. Sometimes posts are deleted because they quote a deleted post. We're trying to delete all traces of the offending post and sometimes, unfortunately, that has to happen. Otherwise, the thread doesn't make much sense if you delete an offensive post and there are 15 replies to that particular post.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

They beat me to it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I have had one post deleted, and the mod was nice enough to take the time to send a pm to explain. I think it was you, LG, or maybe duckgirl. Anyways, thanks.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I guess I will just echo what others have said.

If it is a new poster I always send a pm. If it is someone who has had 30 posts deleted, I rarely send a pm
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It was just funny how I previously asked a mod to delete a post that I entered and it wasn't done and there was no reply. I did explain about the PMs I was getting re: that post and thought it should have been removed. I think that same one deleted a post I entered this morning and I didn't know why. It was a strange coincidence. Who knows? Anyway, thanks folks for the answers, they make sense.

One TV Slave, I did get a PM from a Mod many months ago. She was SO nice and specific in her explanation. For me, it was very good to understand the reason why because it was the type of discussion that I would have wanted to have at a later time with a different subject. I also felt that her manner was such a courteous one. She's super. I hope John gave Zhora a raise!
    Last edited by eldee; 01-30-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Eldee, your original post here prompted a PM to you from me. If you haven't read it, please do.

Hey, John...I want a raise, too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast