+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: "Premium Member" Program

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I see a lot of new greenies. Welcome everyone!!!!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I don't know how many people this would attract, but perhaps you can offer relaxing of certain size limits to premium members. For example, larger sized avatars (in terms of file size, not dimensions.) I know it would garner at least one new subscription from someone who would enjoy adding a few extra frames to his animated gifs

The only problem with that is that it negatively impacts other users.

Right now, our av limit is around 30k. Multiplied by 20 posts on a page, and you're already looking at a 600k download just for the avatars on a single page, which kills dialup users.

Quote Originally Posted by John

Right now, our av limit is around 30k. Multiplied by 20 posts on a page, and you're already looking at a 600k download just for the avatars on a single page, which kills dialup users.
    Dialup users? Didn't they die out back in the Mesozoic age?

But seriously, I do see your point. But if you don't mind me making one more pro argument for it, then I'd argue that it probably wouldn't actually increase the download amount significantly. If you assume that only a small percentage of your total members enter the premium program, and that only a small percentage of those premium members would actually take advantage of the relaxed space requirements, you're probably looking at a negligible increase on an average page. For a 20 avatar page, perhaps 0-2 would be larger? That would result in 0-20k increase, (assuming you increased the limit to 40k.) I think that would be somewhere around a 4% increase. I know I'm making assumptions about the percentages being small, but I think it's a reasonable assumption. Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try

Leo
    Premium Member
    Hey, I'm still on dial-up. I resent that.

I'll toss it around and see if we can do something, Bob.

I'll toss it around and see if we can do something, Bob.
    Weird, I don't think my subscription to this thread "took." I didn't see your response until just now. Well, thanks for considering it, John

Thanks, John, for those of us who still dwell in the "Mesozoic Age"! You're right, when I tried to check out the "animated GIF store" thread in the AI3 forum to see what it was, it had so many of 'em on the page that it was taking forever...so I went to another page. Same thing happens when there's too many big pictures on a page...it's not worth the trouble. Seriously, dialup usually runs pretty fast for me at the time of day I'm usually on, so I'm glad you're watching out for us. I for one think we get plenty of 'size' for our av's and attachments. I actually like playing with my photography/graphics/ animation programs too, that's actually why I purchased my computer in the first place but for posting here I try to stick to small pics that I find on other sites.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult all my favorite dialup users. It was just a joke .

And queenb, you're right. John does a great job looking out for all the users. And I'm sure he wouldn't do anything that would affect you guys negatively. Just to clarify, I was not saying that dialup users don't matter, but, rather, that all users, including dialup users, wouldn't notice a difference b/c the impact would probably be negligible.

I noticed you mentioned the "Avatar Store" thread I posted this morning. The reason it probably loads slow for you is that it's an unusually image-heavy thread; most posts in it have 4+ images in addition to the avatar. You wouldn't have to worry about any other pages being like that.

Take care!

- BD

Just sent in the donation...looking forward to becoming green.

+ Reply to Thread