+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We will be down on Saturday 07/05!

We will be down on Saturday 07/05!

We are planning an upgrade to a new version of the forum software on Saturday, July 5, beginning at 7am Eastern.

This is a major move, and our expectations are that it will take at least 6 hours, but maybe longer. The site will be unavailable during that time.

There will be some changes in our site when we make the move, so we will be fielding questions in the chat room and in the Announcements forum if you have any, after the move.

Thank you, and enjoy your Holiday weekend (Independence Day, Canada Day, or whatever).

For those curious souls, vBulletin, the makers of this software we use, have re-written their entire system from the ground up, and fixed a lot of the "wish list" stuff for people, while making a more stable and cleaner system.

They are in beta testing right now, but it's stable enough to where we're going to make the switch, with a few well-applied bug fixes in place.

When we first make the transition, the graphics at the top of the show forums will be gone. I will be replacing them over the first few days the forum is back up.

There will be some other minor changes, and I'll detail those on the new site.

Everything you've got now will remain unchanged. All of your posts, your user profile, etc. will be the same. You may have to log in the first time, I'm not sure.

A lot of VBulletin sites have had problems with database errors. One site I go to a lot has them almost daily, and if someone's posting when it happens more often than not the thread disappears.

Will your upgrade be safe from this?

Yes, it should be. I know there's a problem with vBulletin related to an older version of php. We're on all the newest versions of everything (I'm a little OCD about keeping us current), and we've been running a test environment for almost 2 weeks with no problems at all.

The upgrade seemed to go fairly well. Let me know if you have any problems at all...

Post in this forum, or chat here or MSN or e-mail me at admin@fansofrealitytv.com

John, the upgrades look great!

I didn't know the look and logic of manuvering the site could be better - but it is! The changes are going to take some getting used to, but I really like them.

I did have to sign in again. But I haven't noticed that anything else is missing ...

Yeah, looks great John. I like the "X viewing" thingy too.

So far so good!

One thing, the chat. I click it and it brings me to a thing that looks like a regular board.

Yep, chat's temporarily broken. I meant to hide that forum. Thank you for the heads-up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast