+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having Chat Problems?

Having Chat Problems?

Okay, some of you have recently experienced chat room problems. This will hopefully help.

**If you just get a white box, and it never asks you if you want to get the jIRC applet**

1) Click here to download the Java runtime package. It comes installed with most Internet Explorer packages, but if you're on AOL or some other packages, you don't have it, and need it. It will automatically detect what you need and download it. It takes about 3.5 minutes on broadband.

2) Once it tells you the latest Java package has been installed, you should be able to chat.

**If it asks you about the jIRC applet and you say "No"**

You will need to re-boot your computer, most likely. Sometimes it will work to just close all of your browser windows and re-open the site, but not always.

**If you get connected, but get kicked off for an "identity" problem**

You are using a registered username - most likely because you have a space in your username, which causes some problems. Right now, the best advice I can give is to re-register here using an alternate username (with NO SPACES), and use that just for logging in when you want to chat.

**If you get connected, what do you do?**

To chat, click on the white bar at the bottom of the box. That's your typing box. When you press enter, what you've typed appears in the chat window above, and everyone will see it.

To change colors, just click on the color you want. If there are only a couple of people in chat, try to choose an un-used color.

To bold your type, click on the "B" next to the color selection area.

To turn off sounds, uncheck the "Audio On" box.

**Who is the FORTbot?**

The FORTbot is no one. FORTbot's only got 2 jobs. The first and most important job is to report who's in chat to our site. It does this every couple of minutes. The second job is to manage the channel. In an emergency, I can use FORTbot to ban problem chatters, or shut the channel down completely. FORTbot doesn't talk, and won't respond.

**Are there logs or transcripts kept of chat?**

No. We do not, and will never, keep transcripts of our chatroom.

If you have further problems, please PM me or post here.

I should also note that some people who are behind corporate firewalls can take a couple of minutes to get into the chat room. They will see the box, and it just won't connect for a little while. If you hang on, it will eventually connect.

According to the system requirements on the download page, it won't work on a mac. That would explain my problems.

Oh man, people are still on Macs?

I'll try to figure something out.

I guess that's why you never see anyone selling Apple smoothies.

Blindart, does this page describe your problem?

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/chat/cjava/cjava-25.html

Success!

I couldn't get in through the link, even after installing the download. But - I managed to get in through netscape going directly to www.blitzed.org and then finding the "thefort" channel. So you might want to suggest that to others still having trouble. Still can't make it work in IE - I can connect and see the conversation, but don't get a window to type - no way to resize it.

Still can't get in through the "chat room forum" in either browser - it just says it's connecting, but clearly that's a lie. No problem for me, since I found the secret way in, I'm just reporting it for the benefit of others.

Yes, that's the alternate way in...use your favorite IRC program to go to irc.blitzed.org - and channel #thefort.

Please make sure you put _FORT at the end of your username, so we know you're actually from here, and not an unwanted guest, to ensure you don't get accidentally banned from the chat server.

And also, be aware that we occasionally change chat servers, without notice...If FORTbot's not in there, we might have moved.

+ Reply to Thread