+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPN Bios Told Us the Ending!

FORT Newbie

UPN Bios Told Us the Ending!

Duh, I got involved in the program. It is fascinating. However, I went to UPN and saw the bios of the "performers" and if I had read more closely it said that Randy was a "construction worker". It said that Jonas was a "construction worker". It said that Miriam was a waitress. Clearly these are things that if the Amish kids had gone home, they would not have done. Did Jonas make it in college. Good that he got his GED, but he is now a construction worker. Hmmm. How could Ruth even think of going to nursing school without a GED? The Bio said that Ruth was a factory worker. Clearly not Amish community work. So, folks, there you are. If we wasted our time watching this show just to find out who would go and stay, then it was already there. But, one good thing about it, I did get a better feel for existing in human relationships. By the way, the Amish kids were way too ready to do the things they did. I think they had already been out of the Amish community and did not intend to go back in the first place. Again, Bios. At least this was one of the more "decent" programs of reality TV. Some are pretty raunchy, but then, if you are looking for that sort of thing, I guess it is logical that the broad spectrum of reality tv shows will run the gamut of "life". I guess it is good entertainment and a good way to waste your time on a boring evening.

It was fairly clear from the start, for anyone who was paying attention, that all of the Amish were already on their "rumspringa", and needed to make a decision fairly soon about whether to return or not. Big deal... As previously discussed, it's not unusual for most Amish on rumpsringa to never go more than 10-15 miles from their homes, and other than being able to live and work with electricity, pretty much carry on the Amish way of life. Something like this is still a huge change for these kids.

FORT Newbie

To clarify

They obviously were already out on Rumspringa, but the bios were supposed to be what the AK were doing before they went on the show. otherwise, they would have put Mose: Working the talk show circuit! Many Amish, especially of their age, work in the community, depending on their sect. Jonas and his brother were living with their extremely strict (by Amish standards) parents, moved, moved again, and then just the brothers went back to the last community they had lived in. They supported themselves by working construction and that is where his brother drowned. They were still Amish then. It was obvious that something absolutely supernatural would have to happen to send any of them back. I mean, think about it: Amish don't believe in photography, they don't believe in worldliness, they are especially against adorning the body (like piercings or tattoos), they prize modesty (bikinis don't make the cut), they are seperatists, the list goes on and on. The AK pretty much went against all their communities believe in to participate in this show. They had to be pretty far gone to consider it. I believe Randy initially turned it down, but finally agreed. Other than that, the AK practically jumped all over the chance. (Ruth: I have to just try everything once. Miriam: Well, did you see her at her bday party? Enough said. Jonas: had a personal drive to prove that he was better and smarter than what his father thought of him. Mose: was already baptized and decided to leave the church to do this show. WOW! That is MAJOR! Randy: had nothing to go back to.) The closest they got to that life-changing experience was Mose at the ocean. We didn't see the Bibles pulled out any other time. It was pretty easy to guess, but I don't think the bios gave it away.

FORT Newbie
    ForestPine, thanks for the added information. One website I visited about the show said that the Amish kids had basically already left the community. Just saw that this afternoon. Still, I got the answer from the bios. I guess that most of us just want to understand the Amish way of life and hope that someone born into such a devout order would want to explore and all, but never, ever get to a place where they don't ever get to see their familes ever again. That's pretty tough. I guess I can understand Randy, if he didn't have anyone to go back to, and Jonas wanting to make something of himself, but I don't understand Mose, as he was the most devout of all of them. I guess that the allure of the city got the best of all of them. I guess it would me. I can't imagine my own children making such a decision as to go out into the world and decide that all we have taught them from birth was now not as important as the things of the world that are different than what they were taught and that we could never see them again. So, yeah, I was too hard on the kids, but still, I am disappointed that the family connection was not as important as the world connection--except in Randy's case. I remember Miriam talking in the next to last episode that she wanted to see her mother. She did. Hmm. How? Oh, well. Thanks for the input.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker
    I remember Miriam talking in the next to last episode that she wanted to see her mother. She did. Hmm. How? Oh, well.
    They (Miriam and I believe...Meagan?) were in a van driving around. I take it Miriam was showing Meagan the "sights". As they drove by Miriam's house, she saw her mother outside, and the van stopped. She said she couldn't go up to her mother, it apparently wasn't "respectful" to do so. Meagan urged her to do it, but it didn't look like she was going to. Then, we hear Miriam exclaim that her mom appears to be walking down to the van. She then does step outside, and has a short visit with mom. It wasn't televised, as Miriam's mom didn't want to be shown on TV. After the visit, Miriam seemed happy and a bit relieved. She was glad to find out that her family still loved her.

FORT Newbie
    I am a midwife and have worked intimately in the Amish community for many years (Randy's community, as a matter of fact.)
    It is very common for Amish men, church members or not, to support their families by doing construction work. Many (most maybe) of my families "work out" in outlying communities doing construction. Many teenagers and young women are waitresses. They usually stay home after they are married. I found the show absolutely fascinating. I also did not see the finale - would love to get a tape. Thanks!

THere's a great documentary about Rumpspringa which shows kids who haven't left the community doing all those jobs. Building a barn or a house - shot, those jobs don't involve ALL power tools, being a waitress in a Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant seems to be common and where do you think all that Amish made furniture comes from?

FORT Newbie

A bit of Amish Education

Hi all. I just thought I'd share a bit of the Amish culture to maybe help you understand things a bit more. I live near a large Amish community (mainly Old Order) in Lancaster, PA and have studied much about these simple-living people. The bios do give jobs that one might not associate with the Amish community, however these are typical and actually very common jobs for Amish people. Many restaurants in Lancaster and other Amish community areas are owned and operated by Amish families. Also, Factory workers and construction workers are very often found among the Amish. Farming has become a tough way to make a living, and although they live very simply money is still needed for many things. They still shop at general stores (sometimes Amish owned, sometimes not) and they make their own clothes but need to buy the material used. Also, since the Amish are great with their hands, constructing houses and barns in a single day at times, construction work in the outlying community can be a wonderful way for them to make needed money without compromising their values (they continue to use the old fashioned non-power tools used for years by our ancestors as well as theirs!). So really the bios didn't tell us that they were not planning to go back. Also, as long as they are on rumspringa they are free to experience the English world. This means that anything they did in LA (bikinis and anything else- even if they had gotten drunk, had sex and ended up with baby!) is basically "OK". Not that they are praised for doing it, but they are free to experience to the fullest, then they must confess and repent before the church, the bishop and their community and profess to be Baptized into the Church. At this point, whatever they may have done on Rumspinga is forgiven and they go forward without looking back. However, if one were to be baptized (as I hear Mose was) and then turn their back on the ways of the church, they will most likely be shunned and their families and friends must not speak to them or they could be shunned too. Hope this helps!

FORT Newbie
    Thank you Nativegal. That answers a lot of questions for me. Thank all of you. I just thought the communities were so closed that they did not work outside their sect. Apparently I was wrong. I am glad that I now know that. However, I know that most kids probably would get caught up in the worldly things that they are not accustomed to, but is it possible that the AK went a little too far? If I am understanding this correctly, the Amish parents can go ahead and associate with their kids during this time since they have not been baptized into the church. Now I see why Miriam's mother was willing to talk to her. I don't remember, but did it say that all of the AK actually stayed in the city? I know that Randy didn't and Mose didn't, but in the finale, it did not say whether Jonas and the girls did. I am so glad that Jonas was able to go try college. However, it was really bad for him. I sent an email to The Budget, an Amish produced magazine that answers questions for people, and I asked if it would be bad for Jonas to go on to college? The reply I received was sad. It said that since the Amish don't believe in their kids going to college or past the 8th grade, then Jonas would be forever shunned in the community. I am a high school English teacher, and that really makes me sick-hearted. Oh, well. If that is what they believe, we have to respect it. One more thing, I surely would like to see a sequel to the story to see what happened to everyone. That would be so interesting. I got so caught up in the show, I feel like I know each of them well. One thing I am curious about. Doesn't one have to have a high school diploma or a GED to get into college? How could Ruth have gotten into nursing school if she didn't have her GED?

I'll add my .02. I live in central Ohio, with a large Amish community all around us. Quite possibly the kindest, nicest people you will ever meet. They have done multiple jobs for us on our house (framing, building a deck, fence) ... besides their efficiency and good work, they cost about 1/2 of what you would pay someone else.

When I first watched the show, I could tell that the majority of them were already "civilized" to some extent. Not right off the farm, like they would have you believe.

Also, those sons/daughters that DO leave the community are still allowed to visit their families (provided the father wants them there). They just are not allowed to participate in any formal functions (this would include dinner, church, even weddings of siblings).

Many Amish that leave, do quite well for themselves, since they have experience in farming, carpentry and other skills. Jobs that can pay 20-30 dollars and hour (which is an excellent job in Ohio).

One of our Wal-Marts actually has a few spots for Horse and Buggy parking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast