+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "General" Amish questions/info.

FORT Regular

"General" Amish questions/info.

I know that there are some people on this forum who either were Amish, or at least seem to know quite a bit about the culture. I have a question that maybe they can shed some light on. I also understand that there are many different "sects" of Amish, and they all don't necessarily follow the same beliefs, so obviously any information may not apply to every community.

What's the Amish oppinion of modern medicine? Do they go to hospitals? What if someone gets a serious disease, like cancer...can they accept treatment? Do they have their own healers? Are they permitted to receive things like x-rays, CAT scans, etc.? How about inoculations?
    Last edited by galliard; 09-17-2004 at 02:03 PM.

modern medicine

As you said..they are all different within their sects. As for myself my mother was a strong believer in holistic medicine (homeopathic, reflexology etc.) and we never recieved any kind of innoculations. We didn't go to the Dr or hospital unless there was something seriously wrong. Overall they go to hospitals, medical doctors etc. just like anyone else.They do get x-rays and cat scans. In cases of cancer etc they get most of the treatments available but they do tend to have their favorite hospitals and clinics that they use. The Amish have their own chiropractors as well as reflexologists but not much beyond that.
    The Amish also do not believe in health or life insurance outside of their own community. Some communities have their own types of insurance within the Amish church but basically if someone needs help they do all they can to help each other out. You will find they have a lot of benefit dinners, auctions and sales to raise money for these types of causes.
    I hope this answers your questions.
    Last edited by libra2680; 09-17-2004 at 05:27 PM.

FORT Regular
    Yes, Libra, very clear...thanks for the info!

FORT Newbie
    Imagine it: no electricity bills, no phone bills, not paying through the teeth for petrol, making the most of your physical capabilities, helping each other..... how can I convert?

FORT Newbie

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Huon of Oz
    Imagine it: no electricity bills, no phone bills, not paying through the teeth for petrol, making the most of your physical capabilities, helping each other..... how can I convert?

I have read that people that were not born amish usually dont become amish.You would probley have too learn diffrent langs,Like german cause most amish people sing in german.God bless

FORT Newbie

Re: "General" Amish questions/info.

I'm on Rumspringa, from Lancaster. Don't know if I'll go back.

There is a huge diversity of involvement between the Amish and the English worlds.

Some districts will not use doctors, while in others close by, families use all kinds of Englisher treatments. My father takes Lipitur, Glypazide (sp?), and Actos for his diabetes and heart condition. The Englisher docs love him because he follows their instructions religiously -- pun intended.

Depends on the district, the ordnung.

Since going on Rumspringa, I've found that the English become fixated on the difference between Amish and English cultures. The English are surprised that Amish people work in the outside world -- about half do. And anybody who thinks that the Amish look at technology like primitive tribes would look upon a 747 should spend a week on my uncle's working Amish dairy farm, or watch my father repair a harness. Real technological prowess (is that the right word?) is not the ability to put together a playlist, conquer Halo 3, or post to this site. Real (prowess) is the ability to fix the problem in front of you, using your tools to the best of your ability.

So this insistence on Amish technological innocence is ridiculous. I don't know when my father first saw his first parking meter, but I know that most Amish could fix a broken one faster than most English could.
    Last edited by John; 10-17-2007 at 08:41 PM.

FORT Newbie

Does anyone know where I can find a DVD of Amish in the City?

Oh that would be sweet, I'd totally buy a dvd, but I don't know if they exist

+ Reply to Thread