+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Write a letter to the Amish...

Write a letter to the Amish...

If you were to write a letter to the Amish who appeared on the show, what would you like to tell them?

If I wrote a letter I'd like to tell them that the people they lived with in LA are not entirely representative of the non-Amish. There are teenagers/20 yr. olds who despite their accessibility to modern convieniences are giving, hard workers, non-judgmental, and who are accepting of people different than themselves.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PJinNH
    If I wrote a letter I'd like to tell them that the people they lived with in LA are not entirely representative of the non-Amish. There are teenagers/20 yr. olds who despite their accessibility to modern convieniences are giving, hard workers, non-judgmental, and who are accepting of people different than themselves.
    I'd like to think that the AK's have met enough people before, during and after the show to realize that not everyone is as self-centered as their house mates seemed to be.

I would tell them that their roommates were chosen because they would cause conflict, not because they represent the majority of the people in the "English" world. I would also tell them if they choose to stay out of the Amish, to be true to themselves, because they are a great group of kids and would be an asset to the "English" world.
    "I want a chicken, Eddy!"

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Thanks for doing the show! That took a lot of guts.
    Good luck with the decisions you all have to make in your lives, and no matter which decision(s) they are....stick true to yourselves always!

Also, do not judge the whole population on the abhorrent behaviors of those you were stuck with in LA.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    I'd tell them that it was interesting to see them go through new things and experience new ways of life. Also that (as mentioned above) that what they lived as in L.A is not exactly what non-Amish life is like, and that not all cities outside of the Amish are like L.A, that you can live in a peaceful, populated city and still be connected to your community (something that most of them desire). Also I'd commend Jonas on trying to persue a higher education (thats something I really respect). Everyone took hold of these experiences and took the most of them as they could...that I applaude them for. Whatever their decision I hope its for their benefit and their best, rather based on others needs!
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by PJinNH
    If you were to write a letter to the Amish who appeared on the show, what would you like to tell them?
    I just want to let the amish kids know it was so brave of them to do what they did.They have to make a life decision that is so big. I wish them luck in all they do and as long as they are happy with themselves they will go far....

FORT Newbie
    I would like to thank all of them for doing this show. It was a very courageous decision to be on the show knowing how their families and friends feel about it. The show taught us alot and touched many people's hearts. It's inspiring to see people with stong faith and moral values. It's rare in real life, and even rarer on tv.

On a practical level, I would find out if anyone has talked to them about scholarships available to finance their higher educations. If not, I would talk to them about it. I know I was amazed at how much scholarship money is actually out there.

And last, I pray for all of them to find peace and joy.

FORT Newbie
    I would tell them most of the same things that the above folks have said, but I would add that wherever they go, there is going to be the good and the bad, which they also know. I would also tell them not to give up on religious faith. Most "English" have a faith in something. The Amish, though very strict about the way they live, have a faith that is centuries old and they should be proud that the Amish with the Mennonites and other groups like them, helped influence the faith of those who framed the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and so forth. They should be proud of their heritage and never forget it. They should hold their head up and know that whatever decision they made the people that watched them on TV admire them for their courage, even if they might not agree with them. One other thing that I would say to them is not only to be true to themselves, don't let anyone define who they should be. They pretty much know who they are because of the decisions they made. L.A. is not typical of how life is, and the kids they lived with are not typical.

+ Reply to Thread