+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who returns/who doesn't

FORT Regular

Who returns/who doesn't

Okay, one week left...so (with no or very little qualifiers) what's everyones opinion?

Mose: Return to Amish
    Ruth: Return to Amish
    Randy: Return to Amish
    Miriam: Return to Amish
    Jonas: Stay in the City

FORT Newbie
    Sadly, if any of them do decided to stay "out" they have little means to make a living. Sure, it's great to do all of the fun things that they have never done before but these are not things that they can afford to do without a high paying job. And, with their lack of education, what kind of jobs are available to them in such and expensive city.

I would love to believe that they all go back but I fear that none of them will. They may go back to the country life but doubt any will go back to the strict Amish life. They have seen too much and none of them has talked about missing their families so much that they can't go on without returning. Miriam's father is a bishop and I wonder if he will even accept her back.

Quote Originally Posted by galliard
    Okay, one week left...so (with no or very little qualifiers) what's everyones opinion?

Ruth: Return to Amish
    Miriam: Return to Amish
    Jonas: Stay in the City
    Ruth: Stay in the City; Return to Amish- only if Marvin does
    Miriam: Stay in the City
    Jonas: Stay in the City & goes to college

FORT Newbie

Live in the country without being Amish

Last nights show it showed how the Amish just love the country with its simplicity. Well if they dont want to go back to being amish they still can live in the country and simplicity, but still have the advantage of traveling. Lots of people that are not amish have farms and enjoy itl.

FORT Newbie
    It's a tough one!! As far as being able to support themselves, didn't they get like $20,000 for doing the show? They could easily go back to the country, maybe not Amish life, and learn a trade or whatever and use the $20,000 to help support themselves while working.

It's so hard to say who will stay out or go back, but I sometimes think Miriam and Jonal will stay out. Miriam because she so seems to love all that English life has to offer and Jonas because he wants to to get an education. Then, I hear Jonas talk about how much he loves quiet country life and then I don't know what to think!!!

As far as not being accepted by their families if they go back, it's my understanding that if/when they go back to be baptized, then all previous "sins" are forgiven. I've heard that before, and I heard Mose mention that on Regis.

There was a website that I was reading on before this show started was written by a former Amish man. He kept leaving the Amish life and coming back. He seemed to be accepted when he went back to being Amish. That would seem to be a bit extreme to have a pattern of living as English for awhile and returning to Amish and being accepted, but apparently his family accepted him.

All I can say is that I would NOT want to be in the AK shoes!! Can anyone imagine the ramifications of the choice they need to make???

FORT Newbie

It isn't either/or

The show frames the choice as if the only options were living in LA or being Amish, but of course there's plenty of middle ground. Many who leave the Amish become Mennonite, which is a faith that shares many values and beliefs but provides more room for different lifestyles. (I'm Mennonite, and at the liberal/worldly end of that spectrum myself.)

My guess is that many of the Amish will wind up somewhere in between - in the same communities and hopefully in relationship with their families, but not members of the Amish sect. And that's really where they were when the show began.

Jonas would probably be very happy at one of the Mennonite colleges (I vote for Goshen, but I'm biased). And I think Mose would like my church.

By the way, I would recommend to anyone interested the book "Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology" by Eric Brende, and MIT grad who spent a year living among the Amish/Mennonite.

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for the recommendation, Roseanna!!! I really miss reading books (hmm, with 2 preschoolers, who has the time???) and I do want to try to get back into reading something more involved than Parents and People. I know critics of this show were worried about how Amish would be portrayed, etc., but the only thing the show has done for me has increased my curiousity about them!!! And I don't live too far from Amish country either!!! I'll have to check out that book.

Mose - no
    Jonas - no
    Miriam - maybe
    Ruth - yes
    Randy - yes

Basically, the ones I see returning are those with the strong family ties and positive experiences. Jonas and Mose have mentioned on several occassions the troubles within their families, and are searching for something else, and they already know the search will most likely not come to fruition in their native Amish lifestyle.

Go Jonas and Mose!

I bet they all go back to the Amish.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I think it would be hard for them to leave their families and just move on in life.....that said I doubt you can take away this experience and they probably have friends that have bolted the Amish too so they probably won't be alone.

As for who stays and who goes...

Mose- goes back, I don't see him as someone who would have a great life outside of the Amish community.

Ruth- Same as Mose. I think she goes back.

Miriam- If her best friend goes away with her I think she will leave.

Randy- My guess is he goes back.

Johan- Hes leaving the Amish and probably getting an education.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast