+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who returns/who doesn't

FORT Newbie
    live Emmys would prove that Ruthie did not return to the Amish
    Just remember, they have awhile to decide if they want to go back. If the show was taped within the last year, they may all still be out trying to decide if they want to go back or not. I don't think any of them will know by the show's finale whether or not they're ready to go back. I do think a few may go back (see above post) but it may be awhile before they make that final decision.

the solution is simple.....

all these kids need to do is become quakers, quakers believe the same things as amish basically except that they can use modern technology and live in cities.

Quote Originally Posted by maersk
    all these kids need to do is become quakers, quakers believe the same things as amish basically except that they can use modern technology and live in cities.
    The reason these AK are thinking about leaving is because they don't believe all the same things that the amish do..so it really wouldn't solve the problem for most of them.

FORT Newbie
    I hate to say I told you so but it was pretty clear to someone of my age that these kids were not destined to go back. I realize that there is a ton of editing done to the interviews but no one really seemed to be at all homesick for their families - in fact they were rarely mentioned. The key to remaining with the Amish community is not just faith but family which is why the Amish shun the outside world. They know that when their young people see the big world, they are unlikely to want to stay unless they are very tight with their parents and siblings.

What is interesting is that everyone had some lofty ideas but in the real world they all take money. Ruth and Miriam going to nursing school? Without even a GED? Certainly there are no scholarships available under those circumstances even if they could be accepted. And how were they planning on supporting themselves. The whole thing is a fantasy just as this "reality" program was. Still, it was a cut above the usual "reality TV" drivel.

Sadly, their 15 minutes of fame will only give them a taste of some of the exotic things out there but no means to ever experience them again. Reminds me of the movies Awakening or Charley - be turned on to wonderous things and then realize that you are going back to your old life again.

I wish them well but doubt that they will ever be anything more ambitious than what they were 9 weeks ago.

Ruth said she had her GED.
    And that when she found out she passed it, she was very proud of herself.
    I don't know about Miram, I don't think she ever said.

I missed what Ruth said at the end of the show. My TV network decided to do an emergency broadcast test during hers. Can anyone help me with this?

FORT Newbie

How did it end?

I missed the last episode of Amish in the City. Can anyone tell me how it ends please.

Have you tried reading the recap? You might thing it would be included...

Recap 9/21/04 And So They Scatter

Well, since none of them decided, I think if they ever do decide, only the girls would stay in the city.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123