+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9/08 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Finally time to see it here!

Fast Forward in the City!

Wow. Was it just me or did this episode cover a lot of ground? Past episodes have maybe one or two tube mails and this one was jam packed! They jumped from topic to topic so fast it was hard to keep track. I felt like if I blinked I would miss something!

FORT Fogey
    Wow--the girls are looking good! Especially dramatic effects with Ruth, Miriam & Ariel.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    They shouldn't darkened ruth's hair. Miriam's short hair looks good on her but i wouldn't have cut it.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee
    They shouldn't darkened ruth's hair. Miriam's short hair looks good on her but i wouldn't have cut it.
    The dark hair was a very striking effect but it is maybe a bit much for all the time.

FORT Fan
    Reese was actually likeable and sympathetic.

And he looked good after the make-over. His grandmother died people comforted him... but where were the Amish kids?

I felt sorry for them that they were dragged to the parade though. They come from this really sober community, extremely religious, and all of a sudden they're confronted with extreme extravagant men who have a tendancy to do something that goes against what they believe in. I feel that it's a bit unfair that this is the image of homosexuals they're being given. I know more gay men who abhor parades than I know gay men who like them.

But moderate people, the bulk of a community, aren't as interesting as the more flamboyant extremes.

But what struck me about this episode is that the Amish are slowly getting a bit more judgemental on certain levels. It was fun to see them show a stronger opinion.

It's creeping in there, and it helps create a more balanced image of the Amish, since before they were pretty docile, and now, they're getting a bit more... opinionated.

FORT Regular
    I can't wait until next week's episode. School started this week and all during class yesterday I was looking at the clock and wondering if I'd get home in time. I have no real complaints about the City Kids this week.

I wonder why Kevan and Meagan stopped flirting. They were pretty hot and heavy (or at least it was so according to the director) for the first couple of episodes. When did she say she had a boyfriend anyway? Was it before or after she crawled into bed with another guy?

I'm not really understanding how the Amish are interpreting the bible. Seems like they're picking and choosing what they want to believe to be good and bad.

They are readily speaking their minds about how being gay is against their religion because the bible tells them so. But, then they are out in the city living the life of a 'non' Amish person, which...they were taught... was against their religion and quite possibly by the interpretation of their bible, wrong.

Does that make sense?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I'm not really understanding how the Amish are interpreting the bible. Seems like they're picking and choosing what they want to believe to be good and bad.

They are readily speaking their minds about how being gay is against their religion because the bible tells them so. But, then they are out in the city living the life of a 'non' Amish person, which...they were taught... was against their religion and quite possibly by the interpretation of their bible, wrong.

Does that make sense?
    No, it doesn't. Somebody described rumspringa as a religious loophole and they're right, I think.

It's the idea that you can go ahead and sin because you'll be forgiven later anyways. But, what I learned growing up, is even though you know your sins will be forgiven it is not an excuse to keep on sinning. And that is probably why alot of Amish and Mennonite communities do not favour the concept of Rumspringa.
    I was also taught that all sins were equal in the eyes of God. So for them to be denouncing gay people while they do things that are considered sinful is hyprocritical. And it's why they don't really have a right to denounce the gay lifestyle in the first place. It's the "let he who is blameless cast the first stone," idea. I don't think God wants us to spend our time judging others... he wants us to work on ourselves.

Well, that was alot to say considering I haven't even watched the show yet.
    I'm hoping it means something anyhow.

Judging by your answer, you pretty much did understand my post and agreed.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast