+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/01 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    This was the best episode so far, in my opinion. All the kids had to step out their safety zone and experience a different culture (well, that's a stretch, Olivera St. is one of L.A.'s biggest tourist traps, I would say that's still pretty safe). All the Kids seemed to be on equal footing. Yet the City kids still found things to bitch about. I'm really feeling sorry for Kevan, Nick is a jerk. I don't know much about Kevan, but if his stepfather raised him to be apart of his Persian heritage, then I can understand why he would feel "Persian". Nick wouldn't even talk with him about it.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 09-01-2004 at 10:15 PM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    I don't know much about Kevan, but if his stepfather raised him to be apart of his Persian heritage, then I can understand why he would feel "Persian". Nick wouldn't even talk with him about it.
    Actually, Kevan's (biological) father is Persian, so there's even more reason for him to feel that way.

Kevan told Nick that his "stepfather" was Persian as a test of Nick's trust, and Nick immediately told the other city kids. Thus, I don't think Nick passed the test.

Nick made an ass out himself then, and Kevan absolutely had as much right to step up as Persian at that festival, regardless of the fact that he didn't "look" Persian.

FORT Regular
    I loved how the show sort of juxtaposed the high drama of who's hating who, and who's half-lebanese/persian/etc. (like, who gives a crap), with Jonas' rather quite preperation for his GED...something which is about a million times more important than all of the immature grade-school hijinx the (mostly) city kids could dredge up in five whole seasons of this show! Just thinking about their shallow, empty-headed posturing and snippiness while watching Jonas struggle with his test was a very nice contrast.

And I think it's pretty cool how all the amish kids seem very accepting of Reese's sexuality. I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but because Mose made such an accepting comment about it tonight I just thought I'd mention it.

And, damn...how uncomfortable for poor Kevan than after his plea at dinner? I'm not sure that he's not just playing nice for the camera, but even still, at least he's trying to be mature. Nice how they totally dissed him right after saying "grace", eh?

FORT Fogey
    Darn!! I got caught up in the huricane stuff and missed the first half. Can someone fill me in?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Actually, Kevan's (biological) father is Persian, so there's even more reason for him to feel that way.

Kevan told Nick that his "stepfather" was Persian as a test of Nick's trust, and Nick immediately told the other city kids. Thus, I don't think Nick passed the test.
    Got to agree, here. I'm wondering, though, if somethings were edited out of the show. If not, I'm wondering why Kevan didn't just come out and tell Nick that his father really is Persian and that he is really half-Persian.

On an entirely different subject, I liked the Amish kids' appreciation, or at least open-mindedness, for Asian culture, being Asian myself. The Amish girls looked pretty hot in the Indian garb.

I'm watching the show even as I write this, but I'm loving it.

...so Mose is 22? At least that's what I just got from the "...22 years of life..." comment.

Go Mose (and the rest of the Amish kids...and Kevan, too)!

Regarding Mose's comment that there aren't any gay Amish - I grew up in central Missouri where there were a couple of Amish and Mennonite communities. I would frequently wonder why there would be buggies parked at the rest stop on the highway. I found out one night when my only gay friend (I'm gay too, but we weren't dating, just friends) suggested we go out to the rest stop in the middle of the night. I had always thought that the rest stop sex thing was just an "urban" legend(did you see "Something About Mary"?). Needless to say I know why those amish buggies were at the rest stop.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I apreaciated Kevan's efforts, but it's obvious that the other city kids were to callow to apreaciated. They don't have half the bravado that Kevan has.

About him being halr persian, did he really say he wasn't and then said he was?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'm still not liking any of the city kids. They're just extremely irritating, except for Kevan, although he is not my favorite. And then when Whiney was giving her "harmony" speech toward the end, grow up Whiney, I haven't seen the maturity in action. Or when Reese made a comment about Amish families shunning the ones who left and saying they were weird and shallow. Reese is weird and shallow. Ok, there's my $0.02. I feel better.
    Ludicrous speed!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna

The level of stupidity is appaling yet not surprising. Why the hell would nick take exceptions to Kevan being part persian when he told him himself?
    Wtf? I didn't apreaciate the city kids saying that he wasn't because they obviously dont know didly squat about kevan to try and contradict his word.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast