+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 8/25 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Sundays on Global out of Ontario. Can you even get Canadian stations there?

Quote Originally Posted by hood6996
    The Amish have got to tell the city kids to shove it. Kevan is doing it, Randy did it but its time for Mose, Jonas and Ruth to tell them whats up.
    At the very end, Mose was saying something about shaking things up once and for all. I hope he follows through.

Ruth is great. She has such an upbeat attitude and takes genuine enjoyment in the things they get to do. Go Ruth!

And props to Randy for speaking up. Good episode.

Excellent point about the silhouettes on the tent Maveno. I was just to that entire scene.

Almost forgot: :phhht to the city kids, except Kevan.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    Finally watched the show.
    I have to echo all the :phhht's for the city kids (except Kevan).

I couldn't believe that Mose calmly approached the city kids and asked them what he could do to change so they could all get along. Poor Mose. As if the Amish kids haven't done enough already to try to get along. I don't think they can comprehend that some drama queens (reese and whitney) want their lives to be full of conflict and drama. Hilariously unbelievable that Reese responded to Mose's question by saying... (loosely quoted) "take better care of yourself" and "just be real,(be yourself)" How do these two phrases make sense in relation to each other? Ludicrous.

FORT Newbie
    A friend and I used to watch a dating show where someone would watch videos of potential dates, pick one, go out, then come on the show and tell about the date. We could always tell who was going to have a bad date - without even seeing who the date was. The obstacle to getting along was inside the person, not in the behavior of the date.

The problem on this show is that not all of the people care about getting along. The Amish kids make a convenient target, but if they weren't in the house, some of the city kids would just find things about each other to criticize. So they still wouldn't get along. Like in the dating show, some people are never going to be pleased, so you shouldn't take their complaints personally.

FORT Fan
    So I typed this really really long reply, but it says I've got links and stuff, but there aren't any in the message... so uuhm I guess I'll have to keep it short then...

City kids are too self-absorbed... Amish kids rock!

Well, I still don't dislike the city kids. I said from episode 1 that these two groups just come from different lifestyles and neither group are used to the lifestyle the other one lives. One of the city kids, and I forgot who, said something to the effect of "city kids will call you out", which is so true. The Amish don't seem to do that and they're not used to being called out on things they do that others might find annoying (although I'm just going from what I've seen on the show). I remember when Ruth was playfully getting teased about what she ordered from a restaurant and she took serious offense to it? She really needs to develop a thicker skin if she's planning on staying outside the Amish community. Actually, I think all the Amish on this show do if they're planning on leaving their communities because they don't seem like they could handle the "real world" without taking everything personal and insulting.

Also, the city kids are mean to each other as well, and I think more serious drama goes on between them than city kids vs. Amish. So it's not like the city kids are now intentionally all ganging up on the Amish - they see something they don't like, they're going to call you out on it. They're going to gossip and they're going to talk trash, and that's just the way it goes.

Also, with the city girls not helping the males while they were camping - I don't really see much of a problem with that. They're girls and you know, if you're going camping with a group of your friends, it's usually the guys who set up and take down camp and the girls do their own thing anyway. Yes, the girls could have helped and it would have been nice if they did, but that is not surprising to me at all and I don't really hold that against them since that's how it usually goes anyway, in my experience at least. I know that I wouldn't have been offended if I were there and the girls didn't help.

I noticed that a lot of people here found it to be funny when Moses called Ariel a bitch, etc. and I just find that to be very hypocritical. You're all saying that the city kids are rude and disrespectul but that comment from Moses just disgusted me. What provoked a comment like that? Ariel and Nick decided to get closer that evening? I don't get it. At least the city kids don't randomly call the Amish names just for the sake of trashing them.

I guess I'm just not really a fan of the Amish. They annoy me far worse than the city kids do. Although Miriam is an exception because she doesn't seem to be so much of a baby.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    At least the city kids don't randomly call the Amish names just for the sake of trashing them.

I guess I'm just not really a fan of the Amish. They annoy me far worse than the city kids do. Although Miriam is an exception because she doesn't seem to be so much of a baby.
    ...you had me almost feeling something close to sympathy for that rag-tag band of social misfits... untill that particular part.

The city kids can't stop talking trash behind the Amish kids' back. Quite frankly I'm sickened by the way they entered the situation and by the way they've dealt with it.

So far they've been extremely shallow, if I was confronted with luddites, the Amish, of this nature, I'd be incredibly curious as to what they believe and what they think about their whole background. I'd have a ton of questions and then a couple more. I can't really say that the City-kids are all that open-minded or curious about the backgrounds of their Amish housemates

So far I've yet to hear anything that isn't painfully judgemental flow from the city kids' mouths. The Amish at least tried to get along and they tried to make friends, which is more than I would do if I was laughed at, on the first day, at the front door.
    Last edited by Cairon; 08-30-2004 at 04:25 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Well, I still don't dislike the city kids. I said from episode 1 that these two groups just come from different lifestyles and neither group are used to the lifestyle the other one lives. One of the city kids, and I forgot who, said something to the effect of "city kids will call you out", which is so true.
    I'd have to disagree with you there. The CK's say that after the Amish Kids go out and confront the CK's "to call them out" on the all the talking behind their back and the way they've treated the AK's, and they went there to seek a resolution the situation not start a fight...I think that says alot.

Even Moses I believe said, when Reese was talking crap, "no go ahead lets hear it" or something to that extent. Reese chickened out and said he couldn't now, because he couldn't say it to their face, no spine bro.

I realize its different lifestyles, but I've lived in the city most of my life, and that is NO excuse for the ignorance some of the CK"s show. Seriously, don't they know this crap is getting taped? I don't care what background you come from, I have a hard time believing that they can't tell when you are hurting somebody's feelings, ragging/whining/bossing/being inconsiderate, and how talking behind somebody's back is a "good" thing when they do it so often is beyond me. Do they have absolutely no perception? And I thought this show would be about the AK's and their ignorance...

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon
    ..... which is more than I would do if I was laughed at, on the first day, at the front door.
    Exactly! I agreed with everything you said but wanted to highlight this part because it was THEE rudest thing ever! They went ALL OUT and laughed and laughed and laughed at them. All the while as the Amish were still standing on the porch. :nono

I give NO EXCUSES to the CK's for any/all of their behavior. Inexcusable in my book.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

The city girls were supposed to do the work breaking down camp and hauling out everyone's stuff because that was their "reward" for losing the challenge where the winners went out to dinner.

Ruth wasn't just upset about the teasing over the incident of what she had for dinner at the restaurant--it was the constant making fun of her over time. You know, kind of like the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast