+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's with the accents??

FORT Newbie

Randy's Accent

I believe Randy's accent is best described by Ant of "Last Comic Standing" ... "you don't need Scooby Doo to solve this mystery." The lad, Amish or not, is gay. The accent, the nicely in-shape body, his love of mom, his earrings, his inability to describe what he's looking for in a girl. It all adds up. That accent is gay, boy, gay.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie2770
    The Dutch don't even call themselves Dutch, unless they speak English. They're Nederlanders. My mother was born there.
    I should know... I am one, and I live there (here).

When the Amish kids spoke Pensylvania Dutch I instantly recognized it as being closer to German than Dutch.
    I found it remarkably funny that the English language did creep into the PA Dutch, when the Amish were speaking in that particular language, I clearly heard English words, which have a perfectly fine German counterpart.

I shouldn't be so surprised, after all, languages evolve with time. English, belonging to the Indo-European linguistic family, is heavily influenced by Danish, German, Dutch and Frisian. It all dates back to 449 AD... god... I'm not going to finish this story...

PA Dutch is closer to German than actual Dutch.

Dutch and German do sound alike, but there are plenty of differences between them.

Quote Originally Posted by amishintheway
    I believe Randy's accent is best described by Ant of "Last Comic Standing" ... "you don't need Scooby Doo to solve this mystery." The lad, Amish or not, is gay. The accent, the nicely in-shape body, his love of mom, his earrings, his inability to describe what he's looking for in a girl. It all adds up. That accent is gay, boy, gay.
    Why do people assume that he's gay just because of his voice and because of his inability to describe what he's looking for in a girl? Maybe he thought Miriam was the right girl for him and then she wasn't ,now he's trying to figure out what he's really looking for in a girl.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    I don't think that Randy's voice and body one can judge him for being gay. He's just soft spoken. Some people just have voices like that. And hell it said that he works out a lot. If you work out its gonna entail you have a toned body and thats what he's got..what that have to do with being gay? And there are plenty of guys out there that can't describe their perfect women, because maybe in the past what they thought was perfect turned out to be a disgrace...maybe what happened with him and Miriam? I wouldn't say he was gay unless he said it himself
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by JonasIsTheMan
    I don't think that Randy's voice and body one can judge him for being gay. He's just soft spoken. Some people just have voices like that. And hell it said that he works out a lot. If you work out its gonna entail you have a toned body and thats what he's got..what that have to do with being gay? And there are plenty of guys out there that can't describe their perfect women, because maybe in the past what they thought was perfect turned out to be a disgrace...maybe what happened with him and Miriam? I wouldn't say he was gay unless he said it himself

ITA ,That's what I was saying or trying to say ,lol. I think if he was gay Reese definately would have picked up on it. So just let it go. Unless he comes out and says he's gay I'm not believeing it or thinking it. I just don't understand whay some ppl assume he's gay just because of the way the looks and/or talks ,etc.
    Last edited by realitytvfan71; 09-12-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasIsTheMan

I do wonder sometimes if he's a little self conscious about his voice and maybe that's why he doesn't talk so much, but then I don't talk much either and I'm just really really shy. Anyway I don't quite get the comments about the "gay accent". I thought we all just have what voice we have?

reagrding the "gay" accent..... Um I wonder if theres a possibility that someone had their "gaydar" go off when the "gay" accented boy was speaking??? A friend of mine called me screeching cuz he was sooooo in love with Randy... Could this means something??
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

****I found it remarkably funny that the English language did creep into the PA Dutch, when the Amish were speaking in that particular language, I clearly heard English words, which have a perfectly fine German counterpart.

I shouldn't be so surprised, after all, languages evolve with time.****

Just like Spanish is now more commonly spoken in "Spanglish".
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    I do wonder sometimes if he's a little self conscious about his voice and maybe that's why he doesn't talk so much, but then I don't talk much either and I'm just really really shy. Anyway I don't quite get the comments about the "gay accent". I thought we all just have what voice we have?
    Ya to me he does seem very soft spoken, except for his outburst against Meagan about his wet laundry..GO RANDY GO! He does seem very shy. Some people are shy around people they don't know, even if they aren't around people normally. But honestly I like his voice, it doesn't sound "gay" to me at all. Its kind of light hearted and when he speaks it just gets through easier. His voice is HIS voice and I accept him for what he is. Ultimatly, his voice never sounded gay to me, yes a little softer than what is considered a "manly" voice, but still at least his a pleasant tone (well to me anyways). I love Randy, he's awesome, regardless of who he is..WHASSUP RANDY!
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

FORT Newbie
    Hi! I'm new here, and although the topic got a bit off from the original question, I wanted to add my two cents worth.

I grew up in Ohio about 1/2 hour away from "Amish Country", as it is normally called in that area. My parents have also become acquaintances with one of the Amish groups, and have been to one family's home.

Most people I've run into think that Pennsylvania has the largest Amish community, but it's actually just more publicized/tourisized (is that a word!?!) than the Ohio community. It's well documented that Holmes & Wayne Counties in Ohio are the largest Amish community in the U.S.

Anyway, regarding their accents... Amish people do speak a version of German. The original settlers several hundred years ago were from Germany, and their language has kind-of grown & changed since then. (Kind-of like how American & British English are different, only a bit more extreme.) The Amish usually speak their German dialect in their homes, and that is what the children are raised speaking. Often they don't learn English until they go to school. So the accent is due to English being their second language, and the fact that the whole community generally doesn't speak English when there are no "outsiders" around.

I don't know if the same situation holds true for the Amish from other areas, and I've heard that the German dialect varies a bit from Ohio to Pennsylvania. So maybe that accounts for some of the differences in the accents. The majority of Amish I've talked to, including young people, have a stronger accent than 2 or 3 of the Amish kids on the show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast