+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's with the accents??

Amish fan Calif girl

amish accent

Quote Originally Posted by belvedeere
    Some of the Amish girls (and guys too I think) have wierd accents. What's the origin?
    this is because they learn "pennsylvania dutch" before English. No written language for this/spoken by the Amish

Cool I didnt know that.... I learn somthing new everyday...
    Favourite shows: The Amish in the city
    Survivor
    Fear Factor
    The Amazing Race
    & more.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerFish
    I lived in Lancaster County, PA for quite a few years so I think of their accents as Pennsylvania Dutch. Which is basically the Amish accent because as previously stated -- they "sprechen sie deutsch" -- doncha know now. I actually do a fairly decent Dutchy accent myself
    Okay, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but "sprechen sie deutch" is not "dutch", it's GERMAN. Deutch is "german" in German.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by amish fan
    this is because they learn "pennsylvania dutch" before English. No written language for this/spoken by the Amish
    That was true at one time, but not any more. They have, for instance, a translation of the Bible in PA Deitsch.

Quote Originally Posted by missymess
    That was true at one time, but not any more. They have, for instance, a translation of the Bible in PA Deitsch.
    Actually there is no actual Bible in a PA Dutch language, only in German. They do have some biblical type books in dutch but no official Bible. If there would be then that is what I would have read growing up because it is much easier to understand than German.

Some of you seem to be confused. "Pennsyvania Dutch" is a bastardized phrase whose original intent is "Pennsylvania Deutsch", which is GERMAN. Once again, Deutch means German in German, and NOT Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Okay, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but "sprechen sie deutch" is not "dutch", it's GERMAN. Deutch is "german" in German.
    I did know that deutch means german. Pennsylvania Dutch refers to the German language that is spoken by the Amish. So, I believe I was correct in saying "sprechen sie deutch".

The Dutch don't even call themselves Dutch, unless they speak English. They're Nederlanders. My mother was born there.

I have family in Wisconsin, and they have an accent simular to Mose, but not as heavy. They are all Catholic. I thought it was just a family thing (being from the Netherlands). But I met my half sister a few years ago after not seeing her for 18 years, and she sounds the same as they do. I think it's a Wisconsin thing.
    Last edited by Gracie2770; 08-23-2004 at 05:18 PM.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I totally dig the accents
    I LOVE Randy's accent..or voice..its unique and everytime talks its totally quotable..i love it when he says whatevers on his mind...up front and straight about his opinion!
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast