+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Producers deceptions

FORT Newbie

Producers deceptions

Just back from a few days with some Amish friends of mine. While there we got onto a discussion about AITC. They told me about some of the things that happened behind the scenes. Two producers arrived in Holmes County and hung around in shopping centers/malls following Amish people and striking up conversations with them. They presented themselves as a married couple who were "seekers" (people seeking to join the Amish). The befriended a New Order Amish couple and were invited to church services. Afterwards during the meal, their conversation and questions seemed suspect. They were asked if they were married, and they admitted that they were not. Then it was revealed that one wasn't and one had been married (a barrier if they were truely seekers). The bishop, highly suspicious finally asked if they were connected with UPN etc., and they hemmed and hawwed and finally admitted that they were, at which point they were asked to leave.

I also heard that they shot some scenes at a vacant farm (owned by neither Amish nor Mennonites) and it was implied that this was the farm home of one of the Amish youth.

In addition I heard that there was a boy from an Amish family in Indiana that had agreed to be on the show, but two days before he was to leave for CA, he was killed while driving his car.

The thing that most Amish people are disappointed about is the fact that "Rumspringa" is being presented as a universal Amish phase which is totally accepted and acceptable. It is not. It is NOT approved of by the vast majority of Amish and probably only tolerated because children use it as a lever. "If you kick me out I'll never come back, but if you let me do what I want, I "might" (or "probably") come back and join.

Quote Originally Posted by missymess

The thing that most Amish people are disappointed about is the fact that "Rumspringa" is being presented as a universal Amish phase which is totally accepted and acceptable. It is not. It is NOT approved of by the vast majority of Amish and probably only tolerated because children use it as a lever. "If you kick me out I'll never come back, but if you let me do what I want, I "might" (or "probably") come back and join.
    From comments made by a PA Amish woman to a local newspaper, she too intimated that rumspringa is not something that ALL Amish youth go through. My understanding is that rumspringa is akin to modern youth's rebellion against everything their parents want them to do. Not all children will rebel against society, whether it be regular or Amish society, but there will always be those individuals, whether they are wired that way or experienced life differently, that will push the limits. Hopefully, no one will get hurt in the process.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missymess
    Wow....that is something I did not know. I can understand why they'd be disappointed, the show is kind of presenting Rumspringa as something every Amish teen must do.

FORT Newbie
    While that may be true in a few Amish communites, in the majority it isn't. It is neither expected nor welcomed, but merely tolerated. What it boils down to is that until a youth formally joins the church by baptism, they are not (technically) subject to it's rules as they did not voluntarily agree to them.

FORT Newbie
    Whether Rumspringa is welcomed or not, since most return to the Amish community, this would only seem to be a reaffirmation of their ways in the eyes of those who have experienced the world abroad. I think the curiousity is there and is better off sated. When our class flew across the country and took a tour of Lancaster Amish country, the guide pointed out cars parked along the road near the farmlands and said that these belonged to local Amish kids who owned them in secret. She could have been wrong...I don't know for sure.

IMO the producers are trying to portray the Amish as ignorant backwoods people. They go to town/cities to shop. They have not been locked away from civilization. They do see the modernization of the so called "real" world. The Amish make a choice not to accept some of the modernizations that "we" consider necessary for life. Which way is better....I am not sure it is always the "real" world.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by effluvial
    Whether Rumspringa is welcomed or not, since most return to the Amish community, this would only seem to be a reaffirmation of their ways in the eyes of those who have experienced the world abroad. I think the curiousity is there and is better off sated. When our class flew across the country and took a tour of Lancaster Amish country, the guide pointed out cars parked along the road near the farmlands and said that these belonged to local Amish kids who owned them in secret. She could have been wrong...I don't know for sure.

I wonder if many return because they don't want to be estranged from their family forever. I think if they had the choice to NOT return BUT also were able to 'visit' and/or have ongoing relationships/communication with their families they might be more inclined to stay out of the Amish community and start lives over in the so-called 'real world'......It's a shame they have to make such a choice....I'd like to see them stay in the world and get educated and good jobs etc. and still be able to have a relationship with their family. I think Mose for sure will return.......

I was just thinking how hard it would be for them to make there decision. Thats really hard to do because they love their family and they might also like the city. I hope in the end they will make the best decision.

FORT Fan
    That's why I think they should be able to make decisions about how to continue with their lives WITHOUT the threat of losing contact with their family. If the Amish are seeking a community of people who are truly committed to their beliefs they should allow their children to make their own decision without having repercussions such as losing contact with family...that way if the child comes back the Amish will know it's because they REALLY embrace the lifestyle......as it stands they might come back but without the purest of motives ie.....they might feel the need to return to a lifestyle they don't fully embrace rather than lose their family......not an easy choice to make and certainly not fair....... I can see even Mose (who I feel seems the most likely to return because of his beliefs) staying out in the real world if given the chance to do so without losing his family ties......kinda like having your cake and eating it too.......

that's the very nature of thier belief. they think that thier children are going to hell if they decide not to be amish. they believe that the afterlife is more impoortant than being close to ones family in this life. they think that it's a matter of life and death for the kids to go back, not just "oh, lets be nice and accept them anyway."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast