+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Producers deceptions

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsbaby
    that's the very nature of thier belief. they think that thier children are going to hell if they decide not to be amish. they believe that the afterlife is more impoortant than being close to ones family in this life. they think that it's a matter of life and death for the kids to go back, not just "oh, lets be nice and accept them anyway."

Wow! Thats a good way to put it.

FORT Fan
    that's the very nature of thier belief. they think that thier children are going to hell if they decide not to be amish. they believe that the afterlife is more impoortant than being close to ones family in this life. they think that it's a matter of life and death for the kids to go back, not just "oh, lets be nice and accept them anyway."

If that's really their mindset then they are truly messed up....how sad that so-called adults would not only buy into that rubbish but then to have litters of kids and instill that same belief in them is really sad........ Religion is a nice thing if kept in perspective....when one loses their perspective it's just another case of someone taking something to the extreme....after hearing how they 'think' I truly hope the AK realize they can be good, God-fearing individuals without having to live the Amish lifestyle and that they all stay in the real world and continue their education, get good jobs, marry, have a family, attend a 'sane' church etc.

It's not a mindset, it's culture and way of life. To call it rubbish is what's REALLY messed up. Have a little respect.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

This is NOT what they all believe. When I left the Amish my father was very upset and dissappointed and he wishes I would come back but he also knows that there are more than just the Amish going to heaven. The more liberal the community the less likely they are to believe that you will go to hell if you leave so don't put all of them in the same category just like you wouldn't do with non-Amish. As far as being close to ones family....that's what they view as one of the most important things in this life so please don't be saying garbage like that just because some Amish person you know believes or told you that. If you don't know any Amish people then you most certainly should not be giving your opinion of what you have heard! I really wish that people would do their research a little better rather than saying well this is what the Amish believe, because they are all different. Some are more educated than others simply because they have more exposure to the outside world and therefore are not as narrow minded in all their opinions of what life can be like for Christians who have left the Amish fold.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    It's not a mindset, it's culture and way of life. To call it rubbish is what's REALLY messed up. Have a little respect.

And not only that, but the basis of most religions is to find the path to the afterlife. And many of those are exclusive in that they believe their path is the only way to eternal life. So, even if some Amish do believe that leaving the Amish means "damnation" for the individual, so what? That's why these kids have rumspringa, so they can learn what others think and believe and have a chance to decide whether being Amish is the life for them. Their families reject those who aren't baptised probably more to avoid heartache than for any other reason. It would create discord in the family and a bad influence for the other children in the home to have a child who doesn't live the Amish way of life regularily visiting. It could lead to the end of their way of life.

BTW, religion is not really a nice thing. It can be harsh and cruel and exclusive, but billions of people follow one and most of them are "sane". And for those who truly believe, their religion is wonderful.

libra I can't help but feel that I should apologize for azsk - even though I've never seen him/her before, I'm embarrassed for them.
    Most of us see this as a peek inside a world that we would never be able to glimpse otherwise. We (christians) are taught tolerance and acceptance and azsk's narrow-minded view certainly does not represent the majority of us. Thanks for setting things straight and giving us even more insight into the myserious culture that is Amish.

azsk pick up a book and at least give the impression that you know what you are talking about before you stick your foot in it :rolleyes
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

oh! I almost forgot ... I think it shows remarkable foresight for the Amish to allow their children to experience the outside world and make their own decision on if the life of the Amish is a good fit for each individual. Most of us are baptized shortly after birth and have no say what so ever in our choice of religion. I'm RC and in addition to being baptized as an infant we are asked to confirm our devotion to the church at the ripe old age of 12/13 - without a lick of experience under our belt. I think the Amish are much more on the ball than we are when it comes to realistic expectations of their children.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    ... I'm RC ....
    Was it our "guilt of sinning" that drove you and I into a friendship? Or was it our religion that was the under-current, pulling us into talking to one another..?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I think it was our mutual 'personality quirks'

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I don't have any quirks.

/Sorry, threadjack over...continue please.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast