+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article from "The Budget" Amish Newspaper

FORT Newbie
    Hmm. These are the "bad" kids? I have been impressed with the kindness, thoughfulness and thankfulness of the Amish kids. It's hard to imagine that their behavior is unacceptable.

That article blew my mind...I used to be an amish teenager and I know first hand what goes on during that time period. He made it sound like amish teens are angels and these five are complete heathens with no amish morals at all. Let me tell you the amish teens get into so much "worldly trouble" even I was shocked at times by what I saw while in my own "rumspringa". The girls wear bikinis any chance they get at local swimming pools or lakes, lots of kids do drugs of some form or another, some heavy users and some light. Most of them smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol every weekend, (usually enough to get drunk once or twice during the weekend) they drive drunk, lots of them are sexually active the list goes on and on. No matter what this pompous supposed "christian" mennonite man wrote in his article, don't let it fool you...he is way off base. No amish person would ever write a letter like that and publish it in a newspaper. Their basic faith is to turn the other cheek and not revert to name calling and public slandering. I am sure these 5 amish families are appalled, ashamed, and humiliated about this letter. You see 95% of all amish people subscribe to the budget and read it weekly. This man definitely severed the ties even further of them ever going back to the amish. I grew up in the same amish community that Jonas did and still have amish family that lives there. If you listened closely to the initial intro of Jonas he said he is from Jamesport MO. His bio says he's from Iowa because that is where his parents now live. His family used to live next door to one of my sisters in MO. Anyway as an ex-amish woman myself, I just had to give my opinion on this article. The sad thing to me is ...most amish people are going to read that article and believe it because they can't see the show first hand. Too bad that one angry and jealous mennonite man can ruin the reputation of these amish kids so easily.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by margel
    Hmm. These are the "bad" kids? I have been impressed with the kindness, thoughfulness and thankfulness of the Amish kids. It's hard to imagine that their behavior is unacceptable.
    Yes, they have been "raised right". That is why the families are disturbed to be seeing these youth doing things that they do not approve of, and on national television.

A number of years ago I was in Russia. The hotel that I stayed in had cable tv. Do you know that they had the Jerry Springer show? I was mortified. This is what the Russian people were being shown as "normal" Americans. I wanted to shout from the rooftops that these people did NOT represent the majority of Americans. Can anyone see the paralell?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by missymess
    Can anyone see the paralell?
    I understand where the author is coming from. However, I feel that he has condemned this show outright, without looking for any redeeming qualities in it whatsoever. It reminds me of Mose in that church service. He had his arms crossed and there was no way he was going to get any thing out of the service. It's the close-minded determined attitude about the article that really bugs me.
    That being said, I can understand that the author feels defensive that the public may see the Amish kids as representative of Amish in general. But people kind of have their own ideas about the Amish anyway, (as proven by the initial reactions of the city kids). If anything, this show will educate and incite the public to learn more and give a more human face to the Amish people.

FORT Fogey
    Here's an article from Christianity Today...
    You'll find the author to be more open to the concept of the show. There is also excellent information about the Old Order Amish. If you just skim over it, be sure to catch the last few paragraphs...
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/his...004/jul29.html

FORT Newbie
    I have not seen the show. No TV. But I do have Amish friends in various communities, and non Amish friends (who have seen the show) and talked with me about their impressions.

It seems clear that the Amish kids come off as more understanding, good natured, and compassionate. As actually more well rounded in how their personalities were formed. What they may lack in life experience of the "worldly" kind, they make up for life experience of the "inter-personal" kind.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missymess
    Can anyone see the paralell?
    I'm trying to see it and respect where he's coming from. It's just kind of hard, for me at least, because he comes across as bitter and condescending in the article. I guess he is just very upset though?

That being said, now that I think back about the episodes I've seen, there are some things that would probably upset any parent (or friend, neighbor, whatever) that saw their child on the show. Miriam's dance moves on her birthday aren't generally something I'd do if I knew my parents would see it.
    Last edited by geekgirl; 08-17-2004 at 01:27 PM.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    My general impression from this article is that even the most modest Amish youngster who agreed to participate in this show would still raise his ire. It's a catch-22 situation, as far as he's concerned. All the errors and typos in the article make hard for me to take him serious. While I know that there are many people who can't live without spellcheck (and I'm sure he doesn't have it), a little proof reading goes a long way. But what do I know, I'm just an indecent English person.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    My general impression from this article is that even the most modest Amish youngster who agreed to participate in this show would still raise his ire. It's a catch-22 situation, as far as he's concerned. All the errors and typos in the article make hard for me to take him serious. While I know that there are many people who can't live without spellcheck (and I'm sure he doesn't have it), a little proof reading goes a long way. But what do I know, I'm just an indecent English person.
    The Budget is not available online to be able to cut and paste.
    I hand typed it. Sorry if there were typos. Do not blame the writer for them.

Premium Member
    Wow you typed all that?! Thanks, really appreciate it. It was a good read.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast