+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Amish In The City Fake?

FORT Newbie

Is Amish In The City Fake?

This show is ok, ive seen a few epidsodes. But I was wondering if this was all staged, fake, and was wondering if those amish people are really amish, maybe so maybe not.

That one guy who nearly drowned and had trouble swimming made me think this way. There was this one scene, where the camera pointed AT him, drowning and the guy's hand REACHING TOWARDS the camera. As if the cameran was the girl. (think it was a girl who was with him). I don't know, sounds fishy to me...

I'm pretty sure this article definitively proves it's not "fake".

Article in Mennonite Weekly Review

FORT Newbie
    I daresay that it is as "real" as any reality show - unrealistic behavios in unrealistic situations combined with unrealistic editing...not to mention probably scripts...

This is an interesting article, tho it doesn't specifically deal with this show

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5660453/
    Last edited by nomdenette; 08-11-2004 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Adding a link

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinFV
    This show is ok, ive seen a few epidsodes. But I was wondering if this was all staged, fake, and was wondering if those amish people are really amish, maybe so maybe not.

That one guy who nearly drowned and had trouble swimming made me think this way. There was this one scene, where the camera pointed AT him, drowning and the guy's hand REACHING TOWARDS the camera. As if the cameran was the girl. (think it was a girl who was with him). I don't know, sounds fishy to me...
    Your question is a little muddy. Anyway, people must remember that there are different sectors of Amish. The more liberal ones even drive cars and use electricity!

That's a good point. I wonder if they reenacted parts to capture the drama.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I'm sure that they re-shot the scene (especially considering that it's pretty hard to film someone drowning and know what's going on), but I definitely don't doubt that they just made it up. They probably just re-shot it so that they would have some footage that they could use, since they didn't get it that well the first time around.

FORT Newbie
    That one guy who nearly drowned and had trouble swimming made me think this way. There was this one scene, where the camera pointed AT him, drowning and the guy's hand REACHING TOWARDS the camera. As if the cameran was the girl.

Maybe he was reaching toward the photographer because they were closer, but
    they weren't being paid to save him.

Of course, it's also possible that they didn't have a photographer in the water when it
    really happened.

FORT Newbie

A good article that addresses this issue and the relative "Amishness" of our contestants is

http://www.mennoweekly.org/AUGUST/08...MISH08-09.html

This is in a journal printed for the Mennonite community, the Mennonites being the larger
    religious group from which the Amish splintered. As I mentioned in a previous post, to
    find willing "Amish" participants, they would have had to reach folks we are exposed to
    the media, which would not be your mainstream Amish. And to be willing to be shown on
    TV, they would have had to be pretty out there. Still, they do seem a lot more likeable than
    their city "peers"....

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    There are staged events here, I mean that's what the whole "tube mail" thing is. Also, I'm sure that the drowning scene was most likely a re-enactment. While the people are "real", the situations aren't.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie
    k thanks for answering my question guys. So it is a re-enactman. Yeah the other thing that made me think it was real was that one amish girl... forgot her name.

But when she was at the beach for the 1st time.... you'd shoulda seen her face when she looked into the ocean. Its was like a kid in the candystore for the first time... hehe. She's definitely 100% real and amish

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast