+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Behavior on REAL Rumpsringa

Behavior on REAL Rumpsringa

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it anywhere:

What kind of behavior is expected of an Amish young adult when they go on their real rumpsringa, not a televised rumpsringa, but the "normal" rumpsringa that all Amish youngsters experience? For example, are "sins" such as premarital sex, illegal drug use, alcohol consumption, ete. forgiven upon their return?

Does anyone have information, or a link, where I could learn more about rumpsringa?

I saw the show for the first time on Saturday, and I thought the Amish girls seemed pretty worldly. They sure seem comfortable out of their Amish garb.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ralar
    are "sins" such as premarital sex, illegal drug use, alcohol consumption, ete. forgiven upon their return?
    One of the cornerstones of all Christian churches is that all sins are forgiven when you return.

Anything short of desecration of the body (tattoos, piercings) is pretty much tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO
    One of the cornerstones of all Christian churches is that all sins are forgiven when you return.
    And since they don't get baptised until they choose to join the Church, all their sins are absolved.

This website, Religious Tolerance, usually has even-handed good information.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/amish2.htm
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

FORT Newbie
    Also, you have to bear in mind that lots of Amish kids don't even leave home
    before they join the church -- they may just get a job for a while, spiff up their
    buggy, and get drunk at some parties. They don't all run out, join gangs, use
    drugs, etc.

+ Reply to Thread