+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid question ...

It sounds like it'll be a choice someone does in life, a "calling"...kind of like the decision or calling to become a nun or a priest... it'll have to be something that's in your blood somehow it sounds like.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Not over yet.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia
    It sounds like it'll be a choice someone does in life, a "calling"...kind of like the decision or calling to become a nun or a priest... it'll have to be something that's in your blood somehow it sounds like.
    Either you are born Amish or you aren't. It's that simple.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFB
    Either you are born Amish or you aren't. It's that simple.
    Not so. I personally know three families who joined the Amish from the outside. While one was a young man who married an Amish woman, the other two were families with children. They have both been with the Amish for over 15 years. It isn't easy for a number of reasons, non of which have to do with living without electricity or cars. One is language. Though people will speak with you in English if they know you don't speak "Pennsylvania Deitch" (PA German), the church services are in German or PA German. And when a large group of people are together, it is only natural that they speak it, effectively leaving you out of the conversation. It isn't done on purpose, just happens.

The other is how to make a living. Unless you were in construction, or woodworking, or have plans for some of home business, or unless there are factory jobs nearby, making a living is going to be a primary obstacle.

But it can be done. I'll be heading out tomorrow morning to stay with my Amish friends for a couple of days. I'm no expert, as there is a large variation between the different Amish groups, but if anyone has a question, I'll try and answer it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12